Stuck egg

Luieunited

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2020
One of my girls has an egg stuck and can't seem to be able to pass it. I've been trying to help her. I've given her olive oil in both ends, tried warm Epson salt soak, massage. I can feel the egg close to the exit but can't get it out. I did get three, what looked like hard yolks out but the egg won't budge. It's been over a week. I thought she'd be dead by now but she eats and drinks. Poor thing looks so uncomfortable. Any ideas?

Did the hard yolks that you got out look anything like lash egg material? Did you take any pictures? It is possible that she has something larger blocking the vent. Salpingitis or inflammation of the oviduct is common in hens, and can cause cheese-like masses of egg material to be deposited in the oviduct and out into the abdomen. I would give a calcium tablet or Tums for the next couple of days to see if that helps her pass it. Is her tail held down and can she stand and walk around? Is she pooping, and what does that look like?

Cheese like was exactly what they looked like. Her tail is down but she walks around a bit. I was planting my vegetable garden and she was right there with me going for the worms but after a bit of activity she stands in a corner looking sad. I do feel an egg or what seems to be an egg. I'll try the tums. Thank you. Any advice is welcome.

Did the hard yolks that you got out look anything like lash egg material? Did you take any pictures? It is possible that she has something larger blocking the vent. Salpingitis or inflammation of the oviduct is common in hens, and can cause cheese-like masses of egg material to be deposited in the oviduct and out into the abdomen. I would give a calcium tablet or Tums for the next couple of days to see if that helps her pass it. Is her tail held down and can she stand and walk around? Is she pooping, and what does that look like?
Cheese like is exactly what they looked like. Her tail is down but she moves around a bit. I was planting my vegetable garden and she was right there going for the worms however after a bit of activity she goes to a corner looking sad. She eats, drinks and poops but she looks sad and what I imagine uncomfortable. Thank you, I will try the tums. Any advice is welcome, she's my favorite hen.

I forgot to ask how old she is. Salpingitis is more common in hens over 2 years and up. Once it is there, it can be hard to treat unless you can get the hen to stop laying. Having a vet give hormone implants to do that is very expensive, and necessary every 4-6 months. Many people do not know their hens have salpingitis until they die, and a necropsy is done. E.coli or a few other types of bacteria can be the cause. Antibiotics may or may not help. She may respond to some amoxicillin or enrofloxacin, which could extend her life, but hard to know. Enro is banned for chickens, but some vets may still prescribe it for reproductive infections. Amoxicillin is sold as Fish Mox online, and might be available in some TSC’s or feed stores. Enrofloxacin is available at jedds.com in 10% liquid.

I forgot to ask how old she is. Salpingitis is more common in hens over 2 years and up. Once it is there, it can be hard to treat unless you can get the hen to stop laying. Having a vet give hormone implants to do that is very expensive, and necessary every 4-6 months. Many people do not know their hens have salpingitis until they die, and a necropsy is done. E.coli or a few other types of bacteria can be the cause. Antibiotics may or may not help. She may respond to some amoxicillin or enrofloxacin, which could extend her life, but hard to know. Enro is banned for chickens, but some vets may still prescribe it for reproductive infections. Amoxicillin is sold as Fish Mox online, and might be available in some TSC’s or feed stores. Enrofloxacin is available at jedds.com in 10% liquid.
Yeah she's 4, that's why I thought she'd be dead already but she's stubborn. I'll keep trying to make her as comfortable as possible but I know what the end result will be 😞

Yeah she's 4, that's why I thought she'd be dead already but she's stubborn. I know a vet will be very expensive. I'll keep trying to keep her as comfortable as possible but I know what the end result will be 😞

Back
Top Bottom