Stuck in broody mode

Homyer123

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2023
Hi everyone, I would like your thoughts on this. One of my year old hens has been sitting on an egg which hatched 3 days ago. Since then the mum has not stirred and the chick hasn't been taught anything and stays under mum. It's like mum is stuck in broody mode. Any ideas please?

Hi everyone, I would like your thoughts on this. One of my year old hens has been sitting on an egg which hatched 3 days ago. Since then the mum has not stirred and the chick hasn't been taught anything and stays under mum. It's like mum is stuck in broody mode. Any ideas please?
If they haven't gotten off the nest by tomorrow, then I'd physically move her to food and water, gently, giving her a moment to find her feet and stand. Once they're standing they seem to wake up more from the broody trance. See if the hen can take it from there with the chicks.

Usually broody moms sit 3 days past the first hatched egg so siblings can hatch also. Sounds like today she'll be getting up today or tomorrow anyway - just keep an eye out.

Also, mom may be leaving the nest with babies when you're not around to see it.

If there's fake eggs, I'd remove them from under her so she doesn't continue to sit.

Chicks can go 3 days or so after hatching without food and water - they use the nutrients in the egg sack to sustain themselves. This is normal.

Back
Top Bottom