Stuck Poop Or Body Parts Outside Body!?!?!? Panicking!!!

She is good. It stayed in her all night. I had to put it back in around 1 this afternoon. She seems to be fine. Do you know how long this may last? Thanks for checking in, it means a lot.

Good to hear it stayed in! I don't know exactly how long it will take. If you can keep her in a dimly lit area for a week, you'll be able to know whether it is getting progressively better. See how she does on solid food then brightening her area, and laying an egg. If that goes well, you could put her back in the flock. You'll always have to keep a keen eye out for her. She may be prone to this every time she goes in and out of lay. Let's hope not! Best wishes!
smile.png

BTW I have a hen in hospital recovering from a fox attack. It will be a long tome until she can return to a flock with roosters and take dust baths. She does lay eggs even though injured. She stays in a large dog crate but I have a kennel carrier that is a nice size. I take her out in that where she can see her flock and get some sun and fresh air. It does a lot to keep her from being depressed and lets the flock know she is still around. She holds her poop in both cages like a broody. I take her out and put her on the floor every few hours so she can let it out, that's important. In evening, when I bring her back to the bathroom, on the floor, she goes into the crate on her own! She knows she is injured, holds her wings away from body injuries as much as she can, and feels safest in her crates. Chickens are not so dumb as people say!
smile.png

Good to hear it stayed in! I don't know exactly how long it will take. If you can keep her in a dimly lit area for a week, you'll be able to know whether it is getting progressively better. See how she does on solid food then brightening her area, and laying an egg. If that goes well, you could put her back in the flock. You'll always have to keep a keen eye out for her. She may be prone to this every time she goes in and out of lay. Let's hope not! Best wishes!
smile.png

BTW I have a hen in hospital recovering from a fox attack. It will be a long tome until she can return to a flock with roosters and take dust baths. She does lay eggs even though injured. She stays in a large dog crate but I have a kennel carrier that is a nice size. I take her out in that where she can see her flock and get some sun and fresh air. It does a lot to keep her from being depressed and lets the flock know she is still around. She holds her poop in both cages like a broody. I take her out and put her on the floor every few hours so she can let it out, that's important. In evening, when I bring her back to the bathroom, on the floor, she goes into the crate on her own! She knows she is injured, holds her wings away from body injuries as much as she can, and feels safest in her crates. Chickens are not so dumb as people say!
smile.png

Thank you so much for all your help! Whats your opinion on using honey? I heard that helps keep it in.

I'm sorry about the fox attack but I'm happy to hear she is fine. I think chickens are extremely smart! They catch on very quickly.

I'm thinking of letting her go outside for a little while with the flock when I let them free range. I always watch them so it will be no different.

Thank you again for all your support! It truly does mean a lot.

Thank you so much for all your help! Whats your opinion on using honey? I heard that helps keep it in.

I'm sorry about the fox attack but I'm happy to hear she is fine. I think chickens are extremely smart! They catch on very quickly.

I'm thinking of letting her go outside for a little while with the flock when I let them free range. I always watch them so it will be no different.

Thank you again for all your support! It truly does mean a lot.

You are very welcome! Honey does have it's place in treatment. It can give energy and has antibacterial properties. Once my chicken's wounds have granulated properly, I will switch from triple antibiotic to honey. In your case, I'm not sure you want to put something so sticky on tissue that functions much like our own intestines and rectum. Washing germs off when it prolapses, keeping it slippery/lubricated is good. The hemorrhoid cream is better suited to help shrink the inflammation and tighten the tissue so that everything passes through correctly. Besides. if the chickens take a liking to the honey, they will really go after her bum! Letting her go out for a little while, protected by you, will do good for her spirits! Take her out when the sun is weak so she is less likely to lay eggs for now. If someone has used honey for prolapse, maybe they will chime in here.
smile.png

You are very welcome! Honey does have it's place in treatment. It can give energy and has antibacterial properties. Once my chicken's wounds have granulated properly, I will switch from triple antibiotic to honey. In your case, I'm not sure you want to put something so sticky on tissue that functions much like our own intestines and rectum. Washing germs off when it prolapses, keeping it slippery/lubricated is good. The hemorrhoid cream is better suited to help shrink the inflammation and tighten the tissue so that everything passes through correctly. Besides. if the chickens take a liking to the honey, they will really go after her bum! Letting her go out for a little while, protected by you, will do good for her spirits! Take her out when the sun is weak so she is less likely to lay eggs for now. If someone has used honey for prolapse, maybe they will chime in here.
smile.png
Thank you. That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for checking back in regularly, it meant a lot to know if i have a question and cant find it on the Internet i know my backup plan, you! I cant tell you enough how happy i am to have you in this post! Thank you again, i promise to keep you updated. By the way, when it came out at 1 it looked smaller then it did last night
celebrate.gif

That looks like a badly prolapsed vent! Irrigate with 50/50 or so betadine, cover with vasaline. Then with gloved, lubed fingers, try to gently push it back in. Keep her away from flock. Keep her in dimly lit cage to discourage laying. Feed soft protein foods so poop passes easily. Keep her well hydrated. Every time it comes back out, put it back in. Hope she recovers!

I just picked up my baby chickens and one of them has dried poop but i tried to remove it with warm water but it still looks pretty bad. What can this be????? HELP PLEASE!!!

I just picked up my baby chickens and one of them has dried poop but i tried to remove it with warm water but it still looks pretty bad. What can this be????? HELP PLEASE!!!
How old is the chicken? Do you have a picture? If it is dried up poop then try damping a warm paper towel and wipe it off the feathers. If you did that already, please upload a picture so I have a visual. Thanks.

How old is the chicken? Do you have a picture? If it is dried up poop then try damping a warm paper towel and wipe it off the feathers. If you did that already, please upload a picture so I have a visual. Thanks. 

I washed my hen.. over 22 weeks... I took her and used water a little bit warmer than my hand and used the shower wand to spray her butt after just a few minutes enough to saturate the poop and it began to fall off she was free in the tub and seemed to welcome the water on her swollen pooter. But do be sure to sanitise your tub.. every inch! If I could had another place to do it I would have.. yuck!!!!!

Thank you. That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for checking back in regularly, it meant a lot to know if i have a question and cant find it on the Internet i know my backup plan, you! I cant tell you enough how happy i am to have you in this post! Thank you again, i promise to keep you updated. By the way, when it came out at 1 it looked smaller then it did last night
celebrate.gif

YW and TY for the compliment! But, I am only one of thousands of people on this site who can help with just about anything. Her prolapse tissue being smaller when it came out the second time, is a good sign. Here's hoping she continues to heal! And, I would love updates, thank you.
smile.png

Warm water, soaked into the poop will help but sometimes, you gotta get down and dirty. Use your finger nails to "preen" out poop in feathers and carefully dig down to the vent. Once you have it all cleaned up, cover the vent with vasaline and you can trim feathers under the vent so the poop misses the feathers. (scrub fingernails with soap and brush after).
smile.png

YW and TY for the compliment! But, I am only one of thousands of people on this site who can help with just about anything. Her prolapse tissue being smaller when it came out the second time, is a good sign. Here's hoping she continues to heal! And, I would love updates, thank you.
smile.png
Its officially been 24 hours that it stayed inside of her
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom