Stuck Poop Or Body Parts Outside Body!?!?!? Panicking!!!

lizardboy55

Songster
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
Hello All,

I go outside to my coop to lock up my girls for the night and notice one of them has blood in their vent. I watched her and the poop came out fine, normal, no blood. But this wont go away. I dont know if its part of her vent. Help please. Shes almost one and shes a road island red and its march 19th just getting over winter in New Jersey. She lost all her butt feathers. What can this be? Help! Panicking!!!

Thank You So Much!

That looks like a badly prolapsed vent! Irrigate with 50/50 or so betadine, cover with vasaline. Then with gloved, lubed fingers, try to gently push it back in. Keep her away from flock. Keep her in dimly lit cage to discourage laying. Feed soft protein foods so poop passes easily. Keep her well hydrated. Every time it comes back out, put it back in. Hope she recovers!

That looks like a badly prolapsed vent! Irrigate with 50/50 or so betadine, cover with vasaline.  Then with gloved, lubed fingers, try to gently push it back in. Keep her away from flock. Keep her in dimly lit cage to discourage laying. Feed soft protein foods so poop passes easily. Keep her well hydrated. Every time it comes back out, put it back in. Hope she recovers!

Will peroxide work?

Will peroxide work?

Since the prolapse is supposed to be internal, you don't want to burn the tissue. Mix up some salt water if it's all you have. If prolapsed tissue dries out, it will cause irreparable damage so do this quickly!
As other poster said, after prolapse tissue is back in place, hemorrhoid cream on/in the vent can help.

Last edited:
Thank you all! She is in our garage in our hospital under close care. I will keep you all updated on this post with pictures if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom