Stud service for my ladies

What I had done in the past and still do it now, is to ask that friend to isolate the roo, buy a brand new cage, new waterers, etc. for him in a different place such as a garage or another shed AWAY from her chickens nor he would have any exposure to them. You can place the cage in front of the window, half shade half sun so he can be comfortable watching the world go by and not missing out too much. Keep him in there for at least a month, then you can just pick him up, cage and all, and take him home without any further isolation. Remember your friend would have to practice biosecurity as well but it should not be too hard. When you get the roo home, keep in his cage for a day, place it where the girls can see and check him out. By that evening, you can let him out, setting him on the perch at night and by morning, he will mingle with the girls.

When it is time to return him to your friend, do the same thing, cage and all. It would be best to take the cage with you so the friend wont use it for a hospital cage for her own birds, in case. Wash and bleach out all the contents and cage and store it away until you need his "stud services" again.

I live in the city and I isolate chickens about a week to a month from reputable breeders but in extreme cases like this weather, I had to take a BIG gamble and put the roo in with the girls to stay warm. It is too cold for him to be in a cage by himself. I will have to make a rabbit hutch for isolation cases and go from there or ask the neighbor if he is willing to sell his rabbit hutch which there was no rabbits for a year. I would not advise doing this method but yes it is a gamble. If something happens, then it is my fault. Sometimes breeders like this one would go the extra mile for you and do the things you would like to do, like I mentioned above and you would not have to isolate as long. I am glad the breeder was willing to work with me on this one because I do have this bantam Welsummer roo now with the girls today.

Back
Top Bottom