students want to know..... I think that hen is a rooster

SoPerr

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2015
can you tell me what these are?
I think the blonde is a rooster.... based on the wing feather length.... the rest I thought were hens, but one of them seems to be getting a bigger comb than I thought a girl should have.

I would say the buff is a pullet (you can't feather sex orps, but the girls do tend to feather in faster). And I second @Ol Grey Mare on the lighter barred bird. Totally a cockerel.

OH- forgot to mention the birds are about 4 weeks old.
What breed is the little brownie? (She was the first chicken hatched.)

OH- forgot to mention the birds are about 4 weeks old.
What breed is the little brownie? (She was the first chicken hatched.)
Is Brownie the little one in the front/center (looks like she has eye-liner on)? It looks like her legs are greenish color and she has puffy cheeks, but that could just be the photo - if she does, she is likely an Easter Egger.

Yes, sitting in front of the duck
and she does have greenish legs. Thanks

The buff doesn't show any obvious cockerel characteristics yet, but the lighter barred bird (black and white) does.

yeah, that's the one I though was getting a bigger comb that I thought a hen should have.
Thanks- when they student pick their bird to take home, I want to be able to tell them somewhat accurately what it is.

The buff doesn't show any obvious cockerel characteristics yet, but the lighter barred bird (black and white) does.

Is Brownie the little one in the front/center (looks like she has eye-liner on)? It looks like her legs are greenish color and she has puffy cheeks, but that could just be the photo - if she does, she is likely an Easter Egger.
I agree.

Back
Top Bottom