Students want to know

GardenDmpls

Songster
10 Years
Aug 9, 2013
Far Rockaway, New York
My animal science students want to know the if they have the correct genders of the 9 week old chickens they incubated. I have my ideas, but am not totally sure. I can take better pictures this week. I am building a new, larger coop at home for them. (Well they have to go somewhere.
wink.png
) There are 8.

Barred rock. Not too sure of this one.

Easter egger. Appears to be male in attitude.

I believe this easter egger is a pullet.

There are two buff orpingtons. I think the darker one is male, but not sure.

The darker one is in front.

I believe this is a RIR. Does not look like the roo we got last year at all, but the saddle feathers look a little pointy.

I

Would be shocked if this Australorpe is not a roo, durn.

I believe this is a Delaware and a pullet.

And now some group shots to see their stance:

Sorry, couldn't resist that last one.

barred is most certainly a roo
You do have one of each on the EEs and the Buffs
the aussie one is likely a boy and the delaware likely a girl

Pics 1,2, and 4 are definite roos and the australorp too. The Delaware is a pullet and the other Buff Orp. RIR seems like a pullet not too sure, but the lighter colored EE is also a girl.

Thanks everyone. That's pretty much how I figured it, but I am not experienced enough to trust myself yet. The students also had it pretty much right, especially the few whose families had chickens in the "old country"- the Caribbean and Mexico. Everyone enjoys the chicken hatch and the students are amazed by how fast they grow. This year I got the eggs from a hatchery that did not mark individual eggs, so the only breeds I was sure of were the Easter eggers. I downloaded the pictures of the egg layer chicks from their catalog and the kids spent a period doing chick ID, which I think we also got right. Also did "eggtopsies" on the ones that didn't hatch- mostly problems with the air cell and malpositions. Did rescue one who stopped pipping because his head was turned totally backward. She eventually straightened out and you can't tell at all, now.

It seems so easy to raise the chicken, but you have to do so a big job to do it. I don't have my chicken farm, but I spend all my childhood at my granny's farm so I know much about them. I was looking after them while I was looking for a job ( thanks to the https://craftresumes.com/it-resume/ they wrote me a resume)in the city as it's a very hard job to keep the farm and I wanted to study at the University of Alabama.

At this point you are correct on who your cockerels are. Don't look for saddle feathers yet, as they don't come in until chicken puberty at 12 weeks, so that's not a reliable way to judge at this point. Comb and wattle development is the only way, and you have 4 cockerels that I can tell right now. The BR, one of the EE, one of the Buffs, & the Aussie.

Back
Top Bottom