Stumbling Duck

This is what I’ve given them
View attachment 2969834
The Activated Charcoal was in capsules, so I opened one and sprinkled the contents onto their food. The B-Complex, however, was in pill form. I broke it in half and gave a half to both hens. It was kind of a lot of work to get it in them, but I did it.
View attachment 2969823
I don’t have a cage with a floor that they can go in the garage in, but I had this pen and I set it up in the barn stall.
If I don’t see any improvement, I will probably take one to the vet to see if I can treat them and avoid the problem in the future (if possible).
good start! do you have one of those plastic kiddie pools? That would enable you to get them in a warmer place in the garage and you could use the fence the same way you are here.

I also took big pieces of cardboard and stood them up when I had my ducks/puppies in the garage. It might keep them warmer too. I also layered them on the floor under the pool to keep them a bit warmer. I got the big pieces at Sam's Club. They put them between the layers of product on pallets and they're more than happy to give you as many as you want.

good start! do you have one of those plastic kiddie pools? That would enable you to get them in a warmer place in the garage and you could use the fence the same way you are here.

I also took big pieces of cardboard and stood them up when I had my ducks/puppies in the garage. It might keep them warmer too. I also layered them on the floor under the pool to keep them a bit warmer. I got the big pieces at Sam's Club. They put them between the layers of product on pallets and they're more than happy to give you as many as you want.
I do have a kiddie pool! I will do that! It’s been warm the past couple days, so I’m not super worried about them being cold. Especially since they aren’t wet from the pond and are out of the wind.

Quick question. How long will it be until I see improvement? Will it be almost immediate or will it take a couple of days or weeks?

Quick question. How long will it be until I see improvement? Will it be almost immediate or will it take a couple of days or weeks?
I guess it depends on whatever the problem is. If it's a niacin deficiency you may see improvement in a couple of days. This is so severe that it may take longer. @Miss Lydia would probably know better than me.

I agree with @DuckyDonna it all depends on the problem. The quicker you catch a niacin def. the quicker it can be brought under control. What we have to do is eliminate since we're not vets. So stumbling can be a sign of a niacin def. we give B complex since that works better than Brewers yeast and Nutritional yeast once there is a problem. Hopefully this is what it is and by end of week you'll see improvement. How much niacin is in each of the b complex? If it's something else we should know soon.

Back
Top Bottom