Stumbling hen

Mites can definitely cause anemia, and even death. Permethrin and Sevin Dust are two very good remedies for mites, plus cleaning out the coop. Spraying the coop with Permethrin or permectrin II before putting fresh shavings in would be good. Leg mites are best treated with vaseline or castor oil, and rubbed into the lossened scales once a week for a few months.

After about a week or so with vitamin water made available to them, the stumbler seems to be doing better. Only really stumbling when she tries to balance on a single leg. She's roosting on the rail where the big girls go at night. She was doing this before and stopped when she started stumbling, so all if these things seem to point toward a recovery.
We did find a pretty big paper wasp nest in the coop, I wonder if she had been getting stung???
Related note, would it work to spray the birds/coop with a rubbing alchohol solution to treat for parasites?

Last edited:
This is very good to spray on coop walls and roosts, contains 10% permethrin, and is found at Tractor supply and many online stores:

detail.jpg

Yeah we're going to mix that up but I was wondering about directly on the birds to kill whatever might be in them

You can use the permethrin spray on the birds, but most people use the dust.  Just read and follow label directions.

Can I put the dust in the usual bathing spots so they can "self apply??"
My only worry is that they will inject the powder, as they forage while they bathe

Side question: how do I make other nesting boxes more attractive? 8 girls fighting over 1 box and there are 3!!!

You can use a little dust in their dust bathing spots, but it must be applied directly the first 2 times to kill the mites on them, and then 7 days later for when the eggs hatch. I would even do it a third time for good measure. I think DE is worse on them to breathe, and it does very little.

Back
Top Bottom