Stumbling hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KGBYB, Aug 12, 2014.

1. KGBYB

KGBYB Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    I have a fairly young hen (March if this year) who has been fine up until now. She keeps stinking and it looks like maybe she has one of her legs (or both) giving out in her. Can't see any visual injuries, didn't see her get hurt or anything either.
    Golden lace Wyandotte if that is significant at all

2. KGBYB

KGBYB Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    Stumbling not stinking

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Look up mareks on here. Hopefully it is not that but its a good place to start.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Did she have a Mareks vaccine? How long has this been going on? Do you notice her trying to balance with her wings? Does one or both legs seem paralyzed or does she drag it? Is she eating and drinking okay? Here are a few links to read about Mareks, and let's hope she just has an injury at this point:
    http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/search/disease/502
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

5. KGBYB

KGBYB Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    She's eating and drinking. She'll walk on it just fine and then it's like it gives out or like it hurts so then she lifts it and loses her balance

6. KGBYB

KGBYB Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    I watched her walk- and run this morning. I really feel like the best way to describe it is that she looks like she's trying to pass the "walk the line" DUI test. Make sense?

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Maybe her leg is sprained, or she has a bone or tendon deformity. Try some poultry vitamins in the water for a few weeks, or at least a B Complex tablet dissolved in the water each day. Check the bottom of the foot for any signs of bumblefoot (redness, swelling, or a black spot.) Look at the legs all the way up the leg and compare them for any swelling, especially in joints and above the hock or elbow.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  8. KGBYB

KGBYB Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    Are you thinking possibly rickets?

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Rickets is one of the possible vitamin deficiencies that can affect chicks to cause weak or bowed legs, and a soft or cross beak. I would worry about Mareks or an infectious disease such as MS, viral arthritis, or riboflavin deficiency. Vitamins are always something to try first with leg problems. With riboflavin def. they can have curled toe paralysis, and sometimes will sit on their hocks.

10. KGBYB

KGBYB Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    I think we've got a bit of a more problem, too. Done of the older girls have looked dull all summer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by