2 Year old Hen (Franz) - Hurt her leg, might be broken

sbmcqueen

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2022
Would appreciate your advice! My 2 year old hen, Franz, hurt her leg. I'm not sure what happened exactly :-(. It maybe could have happened in the commotion when the rooster attacked me this morning when I was getting them food and water, but I am not sure. I'm not sure if she ran away and somehow hurt herself? She's also bottom of the pecking order and gets kicked off the roost, and it's possible too it was a roost injury that I didn't notice right away because sometimes she is walking.

I can visibly see an injury right above her ankle. A little swollen, and small amount of blood, but not deformed and not a compound fracture. She can use the leg, and put weight on it, but sometimes it is falling out from beneath her.

The injury is wrapped. We tried to make a chicken sling chair for her. She's pretty mobile, and it made her distressed, and she was trying hard to escape. We were afraid it was making things worse. We have her in a dog crate in the living room with lots of food and water, and she's sitting and not moving much, which is good.

She's eating and drinking.

Is there anything else we should do, or just try to limit her movement for a week or so, and reassess?

poor sweetie. waiting for pictures. idk if people soak chickens feet and legs in warm epsom salt water like we do with ducks but it might be a good idea. First do what @nuthatched said.

All I could find was there was a little bit of blood on her right side (left side in the picture). It doesn't seem swollen though or anything @nuthatched @Jenbirdee
20240217_135304.jpeg

If she can walk at all then its not broken bones , perhaps just bruised, needs rest (like you are doing ) maybe a spray of vetericyn and/or a dab of antibitotic ointment (not the pain relief kind)
so does that rooster always attack you?

If she can walk at all then its not broken bones , perhaps just bruised, needs rest (like you are doing ) maybe a spray of vetericyn and/or a dab of antibitotic ointment (not the pain relief kind)
so does that rooster always attack you?
That's a relief! She's definitely not super happy to be in the dog kennel, but hopefully it's just a strain and she bounces back quick.

The rooster..he was worst last year, and has been better with me lately. This is the first time he's come at me in a long time (maybe even months).

He does not like hubby though, and will even follow him around the yard from inside the run when my husband is outside.

This is our first flock, and our first rooster. I don't have a good gauge if he's overly aggressive, or just enough aggressive to protect the flock. He has taken out a hawk, so that won him some points. Still, I don't go in there without a tennis racket(I usually see him coming, and I use it as a shield).

I see a small blood spot on the leg, that may or may not be where she hit it.

She's wobbly in the video. I'd consider wrapping the whole leg all the way to the knee (joint) to help stabilize it. Could be fractured, they can be tough and still walk/hobble around when badly injured.
Do check the wrappings to make sure they are not tight. Since there was a tiny bit of blood, wipe that with chlorhexidine or spray it with Vetericyn.
Check the leg daily for a couple of days, you may find it turning a bit green (bruising) and monitor for swelling.

I would not place her in sling especially if that really stressed her. A sling isn't necessary unless she becomes unable to walk. Place the kennel inside your coop or run so she can be with her flock, especially since she's low in pecking order, separation will make things worse for her. Does the rooster pick on her too or does he offer her protection from the others?

Having to carry protection from a rooster every time you go in the coop/run is no way to live. Up to you if you want to continue on. I get it. He's your first, he's probably a handsome devil and you like him. But. You are afraid of him.
Personally, I will not tolerate being attacked and I'm sure not going to go armed with something to feed and water. So, I'd process him and put him in the crockpot.

For me, a "good" rooster is alert and watches/tends to his hens. He may observe and even be curious about what I'm doing, whether it's feeding, cleaning, etc., but he's not worried about what I'm doing.

She's walking a lot better! I'm feeling really good about her recovery.

I had trouble putting the kennel with the flock the first two days, just because she would get too active and then the leg seemed worse (Which was tough, as she was missed! Day 2, her sister Hanz escaped the run and was at the front door looking for her. Sweet little thing)

Now though, she seems to be steady, and fine on flat ground. She's been socializing with the flock daily, and for a little longer each day.

She's doing really well(and also getting more restless). I don't want to push too fast and re-injure. That said, she's happiest, least stressed, and best fed with the flock. We have been resting for about a week. Maybe give it another couple of days?(but with some time with the flock on flat ground each day?).

Thanks for all of your thoughts on the rooster. The rooster is nice to the hens but not always to us. I'm definitely considering everything you said!

Back
Top Bottom