Stumped about a loss

Circle W Farms

Chirping
Jun 21, 2016
Antreville,SC
My Coop
My Coop
I lost a RIR month old chick sometime between dark yesterday and now. The only damage that I found was one of its legs missing(the entire leg, like it was jerked out of its body at the thigh). I inspected the entire pen and there is no damage or points of egress. There are 8 additional chicks in the same pen that are fine. What do ya'll think got it?

I lost a RIR month old chick sometime between dark yesterday and now. The only damage that I found was one of its legs missing(the entire leg, like it was jerked out of its body at the thigh). I inspected the entire pen and there is no damage or points of egress. There are 8 additional chicks in the same pen that are fine. What do ya'll think got it?
I'm sorry for your loss.

Can you post a photo of the pen where it was housed?

Any chance it may have been near the wire - I have read that raccoons will grasp and pull what they can (I know - not a good thought), but maybe it was able to just get a leg hold and that was it.

Just my thoughts.

I can't get the pic to upload but I will describe it. It is 4'x8'x4' that is 2x4 framed covered completely in 1" poultry wire with a plywood top and then all sides are completely covered in plastic. The chick was found pretty much in the middle of the pen.

I can't get the pic to upload but I will describe it. It is 4'x8'x4' that is 2x4 framed covered completely in 1" poultry wire with a plywood top and then all sides are completely covered in plastic. The chick was found pretty much in the middle of the pen.

That's interesting. No tears in the plastic? Is the plastic where something could reach up underneath it? From what I understand Raccoons are very innovative.

I just don't know - it's possible the chick originally could have been closer to the wire and got snatched - I don't want to be gruesome, but when they die, the body does "flop/convulse" (for the lack of better words) so it's possible it could have finally ended up toward the center.

If you have a game cam or something similar you may want to set it up to see if you can catch a glimpse of any critters coming around.

I would say raccoon. They reach through the wire and grab, and then pull whatever they get hold of. The chick may have **ended up** in the middle of the pen (naturally it would do its best to escape before it died), but if they can get near the wire at all, they will be vulnerable to raccoons.

If you don't keep your chickens in a coop at night, I can suggest doubling up the wire. Or in other words, basically build another wire cage about 3" or so outside of the one you currently have. Although, it might just be easier to build a coop for them.

Back
Top Bottom