Stumped by Combs! Insights?

HollywoodHillsHens

Songster
9 Years
Jan 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hey gang,

I'm a novice at raising chickens, and have been "playing along at home" to try to get better at sexing the photos on BYC.

But I'm consistently stumped by the combs!! Some of the "roos" seem to have such teeny tiny combs at even 12 weeks of age that I'm shocked!

Can someone help me understand the "ins" and "outs" of when Roosters get their big red combs / wattles?

And if not "combs," what are telltale general roo feathering patterns?

Thanks very much!!

For roo feathering generally you're looking for long skinny saddle feathers, long skinny neck hackles, and the arched rooster tail. Some will have a different color patter, for example my BR roo, senior cocky, was whiter than the BR hen, Coco.

30078_media1.jpeg

There are some examples on here of roos and hens that you could take a look at: Look at the feathers on the back, near the tail. If they drape over to the sides - roo. If they grow straight back - hen. These are called saddle feathers. Also, in most breeds, you can see that the tail feathers on cockerels are long and stringy, and as they get older start to grow into that "flag." Hens' are shorter and rounded. Also look at the hackle feathers - the ones around the neck. If the feathers are thin and come to a point, roo. If they are round, hen.

Back
Top Bottom