Stumped on Breeds

fadetopurple

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
Okay, I've been trying to figure out what breed these girls are for almost a month, and I give up! They've got to be some kind of mix, but I can't figure out what. The more I look at them, the more I think they have one breed in common, but I'm just not sure.

#1 went broody almost right away when I got her. Her legs are lightly feathered - not as much as a purebred Cochin would be. She weighs about 4.5 lbs. She lays a speckled cream to white egg. They're not large, but not [what I imagine would be] bantam sized, either.
IMG_2934cropped.jpg

#2 does not have any feathering on her legs. She also weighs about 4.5 lbs. She lays a light brown egg, almost as big as the one I get from the Buff Orpington every day.
IMG_2935cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments! Yeah, #1 is really something. She is just gorgeous (when she's not broody and trying to kill me) and really different looking. #2 is a much better layer right now, though, so my loyalties are divided.

I think I might have a lead on #1! Google search led me right back to good old BYC, where I found this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=879827
28 from lockedhearts shows a picture of a couple Buff Orpington x Cochin pullets. The lighting makes it hard to tell, but they look a LOT like my hen. The combs are different, but they're young.

It makes sense, because the people I bought her from also had BOs. My girl is a lot smaller than either of those breeds, so I'm going to guess BO x Cochin Bantam.

Now onto #2. I've discarded the theory about them having a breed in common. Hmm...

Back
Top Bottom