1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Stumped on Breeds

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fadetopurple, Sep 10, 2009.

1. fadetopurple

fadetopurple Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    Okay, I've been trying to figure out what breed these girls are for almost a month, and I give up! They've got to be some kind of mix, but I can't figure out what. The more I look at them, the more I think they have one breed in common, but I'm just not sure.

#1 went broody almost right away when I got her. Her legs are lightly feathered - not as much as a purebred Cochin would be. She weighs about 4.5 lbs. She lays a speckled cream to white egg. They're not large, but not [what I imagine would be] bantam sized, either.
    [​IMG]

#2 does not have any feathering on her legs. She also weighs about 4.5 lbs. She lays a light brown egg, almost as big as the one I get from the Buff Orpington every day.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  2. Goldendoodles

Goldendoodles Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    Don't know the breed, but they are beautiful. Going broody seems like it should be a clue though.

3. andrea98

andrea98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    omg i love [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] #1 i would have her with no questions asked!!!!!!!!!!

4. fadetopurple

fadetopurple Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    Thanks for the compliments! Yeah, #1 is really something. She is just gorgeous (when she's not broody and trying to kill me) and really different looking. #2 is a much better layer right now, though, so my loyalties are divided.

I think I might have a lead on #1! Google search led me right back to good old BYC, where I found this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=879827
    28 from lockedhearts shows a picture of a couple Buff Orpington x Cochin pullets. The lighting makes it hard to tell, but they look a LOT like my hen. The combs are different, but they're young.

It makes sense, because the people I bought her from also had BOs. My girl is a lot smaller than either of those breeds, so I'm going to guess BO x Cochin Bantam.

Now onto #2. I've discarded the theory about them having a breed in common. Hmm...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by