Stumped...Sneezing Chicken Not Responding to Tylan

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Scribbles, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Scribbles

Scribbles Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA (Shaler)
    Got a head-scratcher here and I'm not sure how to proceed...

2-3 weeks back one of my chickens was sneezing, sounding kind of like a human with a bad head cold (sounds wet/mucous-y, for lack of a better way to describe it). I isolated her for about a week to observe, gave her yogurt and her normal feed and water. No change, so started dosing her on Tylan 50 (once a day, 1/2 cc). It's been a week on the Tylan and she seems to be cough-sneezing less, but it's still there. Actually, it only really manifests when she is stressed, like if I pick her up to medicate her she's not happy about this and wiggles and then the snorting starts...

Outside of that she eats normally, pretty much the same greedy-for-snacks hen as always, and her comb is still bright red and I don't think she's lost any weight, not much difference I can feel when I pick her up. I haven't noticed any weird discharges or swelling/dripping/oozing anything, but it concerns me that she's still making these noises. While I want to put her back in with her flock mates (she'd very clearly like to be back with them), I don't want to put her back in if it means she's going to pass this mystery sneeze onto the rest of them...what do I do??

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2. Antibiotics will not work on viral diseases.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by