Stun Before Slaughter

I have been using a PVC pipe cutter, pretty much removes the head
Screenshot_20210310-082936.png

I read at length about humanely butchering animals. The evidence points to gassing them as the most humane method. I'm planning on setting up a small homemade one for my quail. Not sure how well it would work for chickens - depending on how many you are looking to process at once. It is much more humane way to go if you can work it out. Given the choice I would gas/chop off the head rather than stun/chop the head, but those are both preferable to the cutting the neck or chopping the head off prior to helping them lose consciousness.

It's nice to see others asking this and being open to communication about it. I believe the most thorough studies done in this are from the UK.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but has anyone tried using a small airsoft (plastic BB) pistol to shoot at the back of the head to stun a bird before killing? Would this make them unconscious?

Sorry to revive an old thread, but has anyone tried using a small airsoft (plastic BB) pistol to shoot at the back of the head to stun a bird before killing? Would this make them unconscious?
I wouldn't do this simply because it could cause the bird more stress and pain before killing. Holding a chicken upside down calms them (kill cones), and then it is easy to slit the throat or severe the head from there.

If you want to stun at all, gas is your best option. Otherwise, it is not really necessary.

Since we primarily raise chickens for eggs and pets, we don't butcher often. I have done my research and have found that decapitation (through kill cone & knife/axe, pulling the head) or slitting the throat is the fastest way to take care of a chicken. If you don't have a kill cone, I take a straight, sturdy bar (like a broom handle) and use it to dislocate the head or pull it off. I raise rabbits for meat, and have killed chickens and rabbits this way; it is a very fast and humane way to kill.

Here is a link to a Youtube video I found showcasing this method. I highly recommend this method of killing. If you pull hard enough you will pull the head off entirely.

I wouldn't do this simply because it could cause the bird more stress and pain before killing. Holding a chicken upside down calms them (kill cones), and then it is easy to slit the throat or severe the head from there.

If you want to stun at all, gas is your best option. Otherwise, it is not really necessary.

Since we primarily raise chickens for eggs and pets, we don't butcher often. I have done my research and have found that decapitation (through kill cone & knife/axe, pulling the head) or slitting the throat is the fastest way to take care of a chicken. If you don't have a kill cone, I take a straight, sturdy bar (like a broom handle) and use it to dislocate the head or pull it off. I raise rabbits for meat, and have killed chickens and rabbits this way; it is a very fast and humane way to kill.

Here is a link to a Youtube video I found showcasing this method. I highly recommend this method of killing. If you pull hard enough you will pull the head off entirely.
Thank you! I've seen that method before but this guy does a great job of explaining. I watched the entire video and learned a ton!

I catch the bird and talk nice to it while tying a cord to its legs. Then, holding the body in two hands, quickly swing the bird like a big hammer and whack its head againse something solid. The bird is immediately unconscious or dead.. It is hung up by the cord, decapitated with poultry shears and allowed to bleed.

Back
Top Bottom