Stun to kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
at least with the gun they'll usually only shoot once,,, magine the bloody stump at the end of their arm after trying a hatchet,,, you could loose fingers,, a hand,, and possibly cause death by bleeding to death. using the broomstick method,, they could pull the legs too hard, end up falling backwards, hit their head on a rock as they fall,, and cause great injury or death to themselves, or even just slitting the throat,, you could get blood splattered in ya eyes, stumble over something you cant see,, and fall on ya knife,, that would certainly cause injury,, or death,,,,,,, hmmm ,,, looks like no matter how you try to kill something,, there is always SOME danger in harming yourself.........

I really hope everyone who has a 22 knows enough about shooting it to be able to hit a chicken held down by two nails. Ricochet off a nail? My goodness, I know firearms can be dangerous but I have to agree with the ax being a bit more dangerous. As a matter a fact, my mother had one very short finger because of an ax.
I suggest cutting the throat in a killing cone too. Hard to cut your finger off or shoot yourself by a ricocheting bullet off a nail that way, lol.
Becky

The traffic cone thing is supposed to work pretty well. I watched a video of a guy killing chickens that way and it was pretty clean. They get the chicken head out the bottom of the cone and just cut it off with some large snips. I personally have two methods that work well. First, I use a very small hatchet, one of those you get for a boy scout. Currently I have a table I made out of 4 x 6s and I reach into the box, pull a chicken out by the head and lay it on the top of the table near the edge. The body of the chicken stretched the neck out. Then I separate the two from each other. Another method is to drive 2 - 40 penny nails about 1 inch apart. and at the top bend them out. Slide the neck down those nails and pull on the body of the bird. This will stretch the neck out and control the bird and keep your left hand out of the way. All of these are messy, but honestly, I am kind of a wimp. I would rather just end it quick and be done. The worst part of butchering is killing the first bird. One day my son and I were gutting chickens together and he said, "You know, I don't like this much." He looked a little ashamed. I told him, "Son, you start liking to kill animals and you aren't sleeping across the hall from me." I kill deer, hogs, chickens, rabbits and fish often. I never like it. It is always distasteful, but necessary.

Last edited:
Quote:
I think you're not giving enough credit to your fellow human beings here.
lol.png

Maybe you can start selling rubber bullts to all these people who aren't as clever as you and haven't yet received your permission to own a firearm.
roll.png

The traffic cone thing is supposed to work pretty well. I watched a video of a guy killing chickens that way and it was pretty clean.

Just watch the Sarah Palin video with the guy killing turkeys in the background using a killing cone. It looked quick, humane, and clean.

I just kept wishing Palin would quit babbling and get out of the way!​

Quote:
I think you're not giving enough credit to your fellow human beings here.
lol.png

Maybe you can start selling rubber bullts to all these people who aren't as clever as you and haven't yet received your permission to own a firearm.
roll.png

I think Bossroo is absolutely right. Shooting into a stump with nails or even without nails is a pretty good way to win a Darwin Award.

Step back and remove the snark and I think you will have to logically agree that it is a bad idea, especially when the advice to use a firearm is directed at people that are finding difficulty using a hatchet.

Quote:
Most people here are novice chicken raisers. I bet you dollars to donuts they have never had any type of firearm in their hands much less fire one. Please don't, on a public forum, advocate them using a firearm as someone will get HURT or KILLED. Pounding 2 NAILS ( metal objects) into some firewood (wich is unstable ) then stretching the chicken and YOURSELF so that you can place the barel at the back of said chicken's head makes for a very unstable situation. Add one's own adrenalin... Moving the gun barel even a fraction of an inch just as one pulls the trigger, bulet could hit one of the nails and ricochet and hit you or someone else causing great BODILY HARM or DEATH.

Whoa! This thread started as out about using an electric stun device. I have to agree with Bossroo. This is downright dangerous. The two nails for holding the chickens head is a good idea though. Use a wide bladebd hatchet or machete and you probably won't miss removing the head cleanly.

Jesus Christ. I'm tempted to go outside and video tape myself shooting a chicken in the head. This isn't rocket science.

A .22 bullet will no ricochet of a silly 12d nail. They are there simply to hold the head in place, behind the jaw line, so you can shoot (or decapitate) the bird. The advantage of shooting them is that it's quick, painless and you get less blood spray.

Far too many people have whacked their fingers off doing this, and it's very gorey as the blood squirts all over your pant legs. A shot to the head is quick and humane and generally directs the spray away from you.

If you aren't good with a gun don't use it. Simple as that. We are here to provide suggestions, not ways you HAVE to do things. I'm sure there a good number of us on this forum that go hunting, do know how to shoot, and have fun trying to beat our old times during steel shoots where you aim at steel plates down range. Not all of us are city slickers or raised in suburbia. And hitting a chicken head with a barrel of a gun at point blank range isn't gong to miss. Using a pellet AIR rifle, you can kill a coon and drop it to the ground from a distance, so you don't even need the fire in the firearm to do the job.

Quote:
A .22 will not ricochet off a silly 12d nail? What about the stump? What are you using for a backstop? How much space is between you and your neighbors?

What happens to the bullet fragments? You act like a .22 is some kind of ray gun that once it hits the target it just disappears.

it may not be rocket science but it is physics.

Put the gun up before you hurt yourself or someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom