Stunted Chick

Birdcrazy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 21, 2009
Australia
Hi everyone,

Has anyone had a chick with stunted growth? It turned out mother hen does not like black chicks :idunno she killed one and injured two others before I realised. I had pulled the remaining two chicks from the rest of the hatch (she is happy with her brown and yellow chicks). While one chick recovered within a day or two of her abuse, the other basically had died. I was two seconds away from burying him before trying my luck with a heat pack. Fortunately, it brought him back and unfortunately he seems to be affected by the ordeal.

The bigger chick, Espresso, and the little one, BJ, are hatch mates, born on the same day!
IMG_8243.JPG

BJ has always been perky, but had far less energy to do much. Lately, he is quite energetic and is a functioning member of society. However, at 4 weeks old still has no 'adult' feathers, aside from the wing tips. Espresso is quite ready to be out of the brooder permanently, but BJ is holding them back. It's quite warm here during the day, for the past week they've been spending the days outside and nights inside (with a heat lamp, house is colder than outside). Our nights are usually not cold, though. I've also been monitoring them, as I'm currently studying.

They spend outside time in a pretty small backyard, and I'd like to let them out over the farm and back in a chicken pen sometime. I'm concerned that BJ won't be able to keep up/stay warm at night etc or handle bad weather. Is he always going to be like this? Am I going to have to find him a chicken jumper? Or is he just a late bloomer? Is he permanently going to be a little chick?

I suppose my biggest concern is that Espresso will grow too big to be contained, but BJ will remain too small to be independent.

Espresso has started jumping out of the brooder and ditching BJ lately. I probably need to find something bigger, but I prefer the chickens hanging outside permanently, as they love it.

Sorry I don't have great photos, they usually don't stand still long enough. Hopefully they're pullets, so all this effort isn't a waste!! And because I'm a little attached. :fl
They're from a friend's eggs, so I have no solid clue what breeds they are, either. I think my friend's roosters are a wyandotte and either a plymouth or a sussex, if I recall correctly.
IMG_8236.JPG

IMG_8259.JPG

IMG_8252.JPG

IMG_8240.JPG

You write that they are from a friends eggs. Does this mean that the hen that hatched them is not their mother?
Were the eggs all from the same hen?
Did the hen that hatched them have any of her own eggs?

Following! I have 2 chicks right now like this. They are eating and drinking but are very small. They live with their older brothers and sisters in a brooder right now. I have 3 batches of chicks that are a week apart.

You write that they are from a friends eggs. Does this mean that the hen that hatched them is not their mother?
Were the eggs all from the same hen?
Did the hen that hatched them have any of her own eggs?

Most eggs under this broody hen were given to me by a friend, so around 9. 2 were from my own hens & rooster. But I wouldn't be sure which is the biological mother of them. My two are bantam crosses, in with the hen still. She's not the only mum right now, I have three. Only one rejected her black chicks.

Following! I have 2 chicks right now like this. They are eating and drinking but are very small. They live with their older brothers and sisters in a brooder right now. I have 3 batches of chicks that are a week apart.

Interesting! Are yours also slow on growing any feathers??

I was just wondering if the two chicks in the picture were differnt breeds and whether this acounted for the size difference.

They are likely a different mix, but I reckon both at least x plymouth rock. Not too sure though. BJ is tinier than my bantam chicks, and I would think any breed would have feathers by now? But I don't hatch a lot of chicks, so I've no real idea. If it is breed-related, that would mean his awkwardness isn't permanent?

They are likely a different mix, but I reckon both at least x plymouth rock. Not too sure though. BJ is tinier than my bantam chicks, and I would think any breed would have feathers by now? But I don't hatch a lot of chicks, so I've no real idea. If it is breed-related, that would mean his awkwardness isn't permanent?
I don’t know. I would have expected more feathers at four weeks but I’ve had some very slow growing chicks in the past, but to be honest I can’t remember how old they were when they got their first set of feathers.

Most eggs under this broody hen were given to me by a friend, so around 9. 2 were from my own hens & rooster. But I wouldn't be sure which is the biological mother of them. My two are bantam crosses, in with the hen still. She's not the only mum right now, I have three. Only one rejected her black chicks.

Interesting! Are yours also slow on growing any feathers??
yes. They have wing feathers but still mostly chick fuzz. All 3 batches were hatched in September. I will try to get pics in a few minutes.
F8430E5F-AE8B-4224-A485-F043CFA45AAB.jpeg

Here are my 2 stunted ones.
886F6BBA-FF72-4C6C-B2BB-92CC2AEB71EC.jpeg

And here they are with their siblings that are 1 and 2 weeks older than them. The smaller 2 turned 8 weeks today.

Last edited:
yes. They have wing feathers but still mostly chick fuzz. All 3 batches were hatched in September. I will try to get pics in a few minutes.
View attachment 1586174
Here are my 2 stunted ones.
View attachment 1586175
And here they are with their siblings that are 1 and 2 weeks older than them. The smaller 2 turned 8 weeks today.

Oh wow! Same here with BJ, just the start of wings. 8 weeks old and still no feathers, its so weird. Maybe I'll have to get BJ new chick friends, because Espresso will most definitely be out of the brooder then.

Back
Top Bottom