Stunted growth and loss of feathers in 2/3 week old chicks. What do I do for them?

RooandherRooster

Songster
Jul 25, 2019
Hey everyone!
I recently got 3 lavender orpington chicks. I believe they were from chickens from an auction, at a friend's house. I think they're 2 or 3 weeks old, but we just got them and they were like this so we're trying to nurse them back to health. Anyways, I think they have Aspergillosis and or Aflatoxicosis. Two of them are growing more and getting feathers back, acting normal and seem active and fine now. The other one, right from the getgo had breathing problems which led me to the aspergillus and stuff. She would open her mouth to get a breath, then close it till her next breath. Then she would wheeze/sneeze/cough and seemed a little weak. We had them on Corid for 3 days and transferred them to VetRX which helps the respiratory area. We also have been feeding them some pellets with essential oils and all natural stuff in it to help. She seems to have less problems breathing and only wheezes here and there. She also seems stronger and more active.
Any ideas on what else I should give them, or is what I'm doing okay so far? Thank you!

Hey everyone!
I recently got 3 lavender orpington chicks. I believe they were from chickens from an auction, at a friend's house. I think they're 2 or 3 weeks old, but we just got them and they were like this so we're trying to nurse them back to health. Anyways, I think they have Aspergillosis and or Aflatoxicosis. Two of them are growing more and getting feathers back, acting normal and seem active and fine now. The other one, right from the getgo had breathing problems which led me to the aspergillus and stuff. She would open her mouth to get a breath, then close it till her next breath. Then she would wheeze/sneeze/cough and seemed a little weak. We had them on Corid for 3 days and transferred them to VetRX which helps the respiratory area. We also have been feeding them some pellets with essential oils and all natural stuff in it to help. She seems to have less problems breathing and only wheezes here and there. She also seems stronger and more active.
Any ideas on what else I should give them, or is what I'm doing okay so far? Thank you!
Welcome To BYC
Can you post some photos of the chicks?
What are the pellet you are feeding? Got a photo of the bag?

They may have Aspergilliosis (brooder pneumonia) or some other respiratory disease (Infectious Bronchitis, Mycoplasma, Infectious Coryza, etc.). It would be good to try to determine what is ailing her - Aspergilliosis is caused by molds and would require a different course of treatment than you would give for respiratory disease.

You mention you started with Corid - do they have symptoms of Coccidiosis as well?

VetRx won't hurt them, but it's like administering Vick's Vapor Rub.

WIN_20190726_13_14_18_Pro.jpg

289babcb-08d6-4098-8609-7d848a2f0856_2.3b4e69524c098d59ea2a54f36d77ceac.png
This is what we give them. The first one is Sunny, she has webbed toes together that is technically a disease. The second is Spike, we think it's a boy. And the third is Baby Girl/Tiny Girl, she is the smallest and had the worst breathing problems, they are on the mend though.

Welcome To BYC
Can you post some photos of the chicks?
What are the pellet you are feeding? Got a photo of the bag?

They may have Aspergilliosis (brooder pneumonia) or some other respiratory disease (Infectious Bronchitis, Mycoplasma, Infectious Coryza, etc.). It would be good to try to determine what is ailing her - Aspergilliosis is caused by molds and would require a different course of treatment than you would give for respiratory disease.

You mention you started with Corid - do they have symptoms of Coccidiosis as well?

VetRx won't hurt them, but it's like administering Vick's Vapor Rub.
They were around moldy bread I know, not from me though. They did have symptoms, but no bloody poop that I've seen. They were all pale, had decreased growth and ruffled feathers/not growing feathers. We almost named one of them naked butt :gigbecause they didn't grow feathers until we got them and got them on some good stuff. They also had some diarrhea the first couple days we had them, and the little one seemed weak but they were all "active" but have definitely improved in all aspects.

I would get some poultry vitamins and direct dose them a couple of times a week. See if those help, some of their problem may be due to where they came from/what they were fed since you have seen some improvement by giving them a good feed.

The wheezing is concerning, it could be brooder pneumonia, from ammonia toxicity or respiratory disease (among other things). If it does not improve, I would try an antibiotic like Tylan50 (Tylosin) to see if that makes a marked improvement.

I would get some poultry vitamins and direct dose them a couple of times a week. See if those help, some of their problem may be due to where they came from/what they were fed since you have seen some improvement by giving them a good feed.

The wheezing is concerning, it could be brooder pneumonia, from ammonia toxicity or respiratory disease (among other things). If it does not improve, I would try an antibiotic like Tylan50 (Tylosin) to see if that makes a marked improvement.
Ok will do. I'll keep an eye on her to see if the wheezing gets any better. She isn't doing much of the gasping or laboring breathing but still sneezes or whatever it is. I might be able to get a video of it a little bit later.

Back
Top Bottom