Stunted growth and loss of feathers in 2/3 week old chicks. What do I do for them?

Yes, we've been washing and changing in between each coop. We are trying to put the new barred plymouth rocks in with my original flock this week, and then we have a smaller coop specifically for my bantams I'm gonna do for fair. We have these chicks inside, but bring them out in a pen to get some grass and sun and exercise.
I thought about how they might be carriers, but I didn't think about if it would go away or not. Would that just mean they could never go in with any of my chickens safely?
Correct and they may be carriers of something that you should NOT bring with you to a fair.
I highly recommend keeping a closed flock until you are able to have some testing done so you know what you are dealing with.

What state are you in?
Every state has a state lab that can help you with testing.

I was with the chicks today and the biggest one looked like it got pecked in the eye a little bit after we got them, but I didn't think anything of it much. Well, it looked like their was a swollen "gland" or something in front of they eye, and I thought he was just still sick or something but his other eye is fine. Today though, its a little bit sunken in and I haven't seen this before, but it like bubbled a bit.

He is still growing though, almost twice as big, and feels prickly to hold because of all the new feathers coming in. However, I also saw the smallest one had a very little bit of bubbliness in her eye

It's only in the front corner of the eye or so. Sometimes the little one will have a sneezing fit and the bubbles came over half her eye.

His eye is more sunken in today and maybe more redish. Today was the first time I saw it bubbling though, it doesn't show in the picture however I don't think.

We originally had them on Corid, then transferred them to VetRX, and today we put them on Oxytetrahcycline HCI Broad Spectrum Antibiotic to try and clear anything up.

Here is the link to the video of the chicks.

I thought about how they might be carriers, but I didn't think about if it would go away or not. Would that just mean they could never go in with any of my chickens safely?
Bubbles in the eyes, the stunted growth and sneezing fits sounds like respiratory disease. If possible get some testing to find out what you are dealing with.
The Oxy may help with the symptoms, but generally birds would be considered carriers of the disease.
If there are bubbles, it would be a good idea to flush the eyes with saline and apply an eye ointment too.

I'm so sorry, it sounds like you picked up sick birds.

We live in Ohio.
Sounds like we did:th
I'll see what I can do to get some testing done, and I won't get anymore birds soon. I won't take these ones to fair or put them with the others either. I guess we'll have to see if we can "fix" them or if they will be carriers forever. Thank you all so much for helping me!:hugsI'll keep you all updated with pictures and how they're doing as time goes on. Thank you again!

The bigger two are doing fantastic! The smaller one is doing better but still has some improvement to do. They are on their way to looking beautiful and handsome! Thank you all for helping!:hugs:highfive:

Attachments

• 0812191059d.jpg
    0812191059d.jpg
    696.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 0812191059b.jpg
    0812191059b.jpg
    730.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 0812191059a.jpg
    0812191059a.jpg
    695.8 KB · Views: 11
The bigger two are doing fantastic! The smaller one is doing better but still has some improvement to do. They are on their way to looking beautiful and handsome! Thank you all for helping!:hugs:highfive:
Aren't they beautiful!
I'm glad to hear 2 are doing really well! Sounds like the other one is making some improvement too.
Thank you for the update!

The bigger two are doing phenomenal still! (Knock on wood) but Tuesday night, I found Baby Girl on her back-well, actually my mom did and called me over thinking she was probably dead-but I flipped her over and she had a ruptured air sac. Or more like multiple. Her whole right side-granted she is still the size of a normal 4 week old chick-was a balloon. It was late and we couldn't do anything for it that night, but early in the morning I got done what all the ruptured air sac websites say. I was gonna tell the vet when she called back about the appointment-almost my whole flock was acting sick so we brought 2 in to get tested. Cecal test results came back positive for coccidiosis:th. We still haven't heard anything back about the other tests but I know there is something else:barniebecause not all the symptoms match coccidiosis. And I'm upset because they seemed perfectly healthy happy birds. The ones that were transferred to their coop ARE PERFECTLY NORMAL! But hey, at least its not ALL of them acting bad, we gotta look on the bright side. Anyways, today I let Baby Girl out with her siblings-they are virtually inseparable:lovebut had to be put in a small cage in their coop because they are mixed in with bantams right now and I'm wondering if she may have gotten trampled on by accident. Well I let her out with them and like 6 hours later, my brother found her hard as rock, dead:hit. She still had the air sac before she passed away, but not quite has large. She didn't look like she was beat up by the other chickens or anything though. Spike and Sunny are good though, hopefully they'll cope okay without their "kid" they were kinda protective of her. They would be standing next to each other and then BG would snuggle in between them since they were like 3 times her size:D

:hugs I'm sorry for your loss.
Thank you:hugs
It's good the others are doing so well. Did your vet have you treat for Cocicidosis?
She told us to, but we've been holding off and giving them natural remedies since we just keep treating them. Might not be the best choice, but if nothing works and we don't hear back anytime soon, then we will probably treat them. And Corid takes out the Vitamin B in there systems to deplete the worm of what they need. And I want to boost their good bacteria by giving them garlic and Apple Cider Vinegar. I havent done the ACP yet, I'm gonna do it today but I don't know if I can get them to drink it.
Plus we're still waiting to find out if we need to treat then for something else with Tylan 50. We just don't want to double wammy them right after the other sorta thing, ya know?
Any suggestions on how to get them to drink it?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom