1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

stunting growth ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cajunlizz, Jun 22, 2008.

1. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Do keeping baby chicks in a cage to long interfer with their growth ?

I noticed alot of the pictures of the 8 and 10 week old teens LOOK ALOT bigger than my 12 - 14 week olds.

we were really delayed in building the coop and run for them DUE to ALL the rain we got , and just NOW releasing them in coop and run

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What breeds do you have? Large fowl or bantams? Some chickens are naturally smaller than others. As an example the buttercups look bantam sized next to a buff orpington.

3. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I have RIR's , barred rocks , and austrolorps

4. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    do you mean "stunting growth"? i had to click this thread just to see what it was about!

photos can be misleading, especially with things like size, which is strongly influenced by photographic perspective. as long as they're happy and healthy, i wouldn't worry too much about size discrepancies. your chicks come from different breeding stock, have been cared for slightly differently, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by