Stupid dog!

Your husband could try talking to your neighbor but we all know it's not going to help. I wouldn't talk anymore, when the dog's on your property catch it and call Animal Control or Humane Society. Inform them you have chickens that are producing your eggs and don't let on you know who's dog it is. If the dog's not microchipped better yet, he's lucky no one's done worst yet.

You could also securely fence in a section that your chickens can "free range" probably their favorite spot. I like the paint ball gun but don't let anyone know, shoot the dog when it's on your property.

I had a cat coming on my property & pooping. I hung fly tape from the patio rafters but with a weak wire tie, secured a chicken bone to the loose end. Next morning the bone & fly tape was gone, cat never came back :)

I have a friend who's neighbor's dogs climbed her fence & got into her hen house, they killed most of them before she was able to get to the coop. She then trapped the dogs in there & call the Police. These hens were her livelihood, she got compensated for the chickens but not the time/feed it took to raise them nor the loss of income. She now is starting all over plus having to go through the expense of enforcing her fence. These neighbor's dogs are on notice.

You & the rest of the neighbors must report, you all may have average and I can understand your neighbor not wanting to tie his dog up. However when it becomes a nuisance & disturbing neighbors, do something. He could put a wireless fence around his property, maybe mail him some information on it, without your name of course. If he don't get the hint, catch the dog, call Animal Control & don't say you know the dog.

STUPID NEIGHBORS, not the dog's fault, it's the OWNER

I like the fly paper idea!
I agree with calling whatever animal control you may have, I have none. Last time i called the sheriff, he said "Mr Wise dont you have a gun?" yes" was my reply, "then go out and shoot it" CLICK.
now just 150 feet north of me, in another county, it would be a major difference. They must call animal control to deal with said dog, one would go to jail for shooting it! Do check your local laws!!!!!!
I have seen dogs go through electric fences, over 8 foot tall fences, or just bust through it some where.
Just one of my ignorant neighbors has lost 6 big killer dogs in my yard, he now has 3 more, and 4 little ones on a 100 foot X 130 foot lot with a home and garage/shop on it.
I have called the sheriff, but the only thing he was interested in was this guys threat as he said he would shoot me!
Tied dogs, there is a large movement on the untie all dogs, and in the next county actively looks for people doing so and fines them!
Fencing, IF you have a boarder with this person, just maybe they will go in halves with you. Good fences can make better neighbors! NOTE dogs go over fences!
When my shotgun speaks they are no longer any problem for me! And I have tried to scare them away, does not work!
We need more laws on big vicious breed dogs!
Good luck!
Edit It gets worse when they run in packs of 3 or more,,,,

There are a few things you can do. One is to fence off a large "free range" area for the chickens. That way they get out and are safe from dogs. I had to do that because even though we have 20 acres there are loose dogs that come here. Two is to catch the dog on your property and take it to the local dog shelter. Let the owner pay to get him out of jail! I've taken 4 dogs to the pound myself. Three is to let the owner know that if his dog is threating any animal on your property you WILL shoot it. Tell the owner to put up a fence to keep HIS dog on HIS property. I'm assuming that you do not have a "leash law" where you are. Good Luck with this miserable situation.

I know it doesn’t help but first ask you neighbor if he has liability insurance for his dog.
We’ve just given our neighbor a four figured bill for his insurance company to pay us after his dog badly injured two or our four chickens. It was all itemised with details of what we hadn’t charged. Now, said neighbor, has fenced in his dog. It’s too late but as others have said money focuses people’s behaviour and our neighbor will have to pay an excess. Warning your neighbor of the costs he will incur can make him think differently about his dog.
We still have the two hens, after two months, in our hall as one needs to grow her feathers back before we can put them out in the garden. And believe me, we need to put them back asap as one behaves like a very NOISY, Angry Bird - she’s worse than an alarm clock and is now starting earlier and earlier each morning!

Someone near my house just had 9 out of their 13 chickens killed/injured by 2 dogs that have unknown homes. They were two German Shepherds. I love that breed, but they can be killers. I don't know if these were strays or some farmer's dogs, as we live in the rurals.
Our German Shepherd Chase is 9 years old, huge, and a real sweetheart. He was a chicken killer as a puppy, and killed one of my ducks last year. He lets the chicks roam over him, and the kittens are his best buds, but I can no longer trust him, especially with the ducks. But maybe he will scare the other dogs away if they come sniffing around my property!!
Could you try chasing the dog away with a broom? Or throwing buckets at it's head? I do that to my cats when they start stalking the bantams.

Ugh, that really sucks! We have a fence between our neighbors and us but I know what it's like when neighbors get dogs.
The barking... make it stop...
I think first you should try just leaving a polite note first, even though your other neighbors already complained. That way they won't have a reason to get mad at you in case they decide to retaliate.
If that doesn't work, call animal control. It's your flock, you shouldn't have to keep them in because of someone else's animal!

Back
Top Bottom