Stupid dog

GatorInBama

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 18, 2012
Axis, Alabama
My neighbor is a big hunter of hogs. He has about 20 dogs, they are all penned and well taken care of. The problem is his 10 year old daughter likes to take some out and play with them when he is at work.

I came home the other day and I saw her standing across the street with a dog leash. I wasn't sure what see was doing. My son came out and we started talking about his day. Then all of a sudden she ran into my yard and around the house. She came back with a dog on the leash, tugging and pulling. I really paid no mind because we have "neighborhood dogs" that come to visit each yard to say hi and leave presents in the yard. Well, I went in and changed clothes and got some fruit for the chickens. I walked out to the run and they looked a little skittished. I went in and gave them the fruit, that's when I noticed that I'm missing one. Usually, when I open the door to the run a couple will run out but follow me back in because I have goodies. So I looked around the outside of the run in case one got locked out. Nothing...I finally looked by the coop and there it was...pulled half way through the fence with it's head ripped off. I was ******!

I didn't see it actually happen but I'm sure it was the dog, the body of the chicken was still warm. Should I say something to the father or wait a couple of days to see if they approach and tell me what happened? As neighbors we get along really well, I don't want to put up a wall (sort of speak) between us. I also found out the other day that one of the dogs got 2 chickens from the other neighbors. I just don't know what to do except fix my run so it doesn't happen again.

It sounds like the father has no idea.. I would say something - especially since the dog has gotten other neighbor's chickens to. You think a 10 year old is going to confess to her parents? nuh-uh. I wouldn't be confrontational - just an FYI sorta thing so he can talk to his daughter about keeping better control of their dogs. A halti-lead is a fabulous thing for stronger dogs.

In my state, by law it is legal for me to shoot any dog that attacks my chickens.
This I wouldnt say I could do, but there are pretty strict laws in place for us farmer types who use livestock as a food source.
I am not suggesting that you shoot a neighbors dog, or even threaten to do so, Im just pointing out that it is a serious offense for a dog to kill one of your chickens, thus, certainly have a talk with the father of the girl.
From what I have read, raccoons are usually the ones who try to pull a chicken through the fence, not a dog. So you might be barking up the wrong tree so to speak.

I would let him know that the daughter is letting the dogs out during the day.
I know people who keep hog dogs and they value them highly. The girl's action could easily lead to a dead dog, in more ways then one. I would tell him about the bird and say that you don't know for sure that his dog was at fault but that the girl collected him from your backyard. Tell him you are worried about her being unable to control the dogs and something happening, esp since it sounds like the dogs are crossing the street?
If he offers some money to replace the chicken be grateful and thank him. If he doesn't, well, you can't know for sure if it was his dog. But you will know to keep an eye out either way.

Also you might consider putting about a 2' (or even just 1' but i recommend 2') overlay of a finer mesh wire (1/2" hardware cloth worked for me) around the bottom of the run fencing. This will prevent your chickens from sticking their heads out of the fence. This is the only thing that has prevented my own dogs from grabbing my birds, and raccoons are in even the urban areas looking for meals all the time. It's well worth the investment.

Back
Top Bottom