Stupid fishercat

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by first time farmer, May 11, 2009.

1. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Yesterday my mom said she say a fishercat running in the neighbors yard. I didnt really think any thing of it. Well this morning i went out to the baby coop to check on things and i only saw 3 out of 8 i figured that the other 5 must be in the coop but when i went in to see there was nothing. So a fishercat got 5 out of 8 of my new babies. I am more mad than sad. I should have done something to protect them yesterday. But i didnt and i ant do anything about that now.

How do i catch a fishercat?

2. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I think live trap is your only option as they are protected.

3. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    I have never heard of a fisher cat.. what is it?

4. fahlain

fahlain Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2009
    WV
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal) Fisher cat.

It's a kind of marten.

Your best bet would be live trap, baited with tasty tuna or something like that. Your only worry would be catching the wrong predator! (Coons love tuna too)

5. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    wow.. I guess we dont have those here in ohio.. Ive never seen one or heard of one..

6. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Ohhh, that stinks. That is one of my worst fears. [​IMG] My sister lives here in the same town as me a few miles away and she had a couple that strolled her yard last year. They are scary. They can come from anywhere. The trees or ground. I do not like them! I hope you catch the little stinker. Good luck!! [​IMG]

7. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Yeah i am going to get a have a heart tonight and hope to catch it

i hate those things so much

8. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    What?! Fishercat are protected? Wow, I never knew that. Those things are awful.

9. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Nasty, evil creatures they are! When I was a little girl I lost 2 cats to fishers, and 3 years again my neighbor was attacked by one. They are vicious and...well...evil! My chickens are due to arrive next month and I have my worries about fishers (as well as many other predators) since they are in area.

On a side note, I never knew those things were protected. That just means you can't get caught shooting them, right? hehe [​IMG]

10. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I wonder if it was something else that happened ....... i am no expert, but i think if the fisher was able to get any at all, it would have cleaned house and you would have none left.
    Also, if they find a source of food, they will come back until its gone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by