Stupid Guineas, warning GRAPHIC pic

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by darkmatter, Jan 14, 2011.

1. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    It was sunny yesterday, so I let the chickens/guineas out for the day to play in the snow. Four of the Guineas decided they'd rather roost in the trees then the Coop. One less in the morning, I assume an Owl too small to carry away the whole bird.

[​IMG]

2. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    So sad. Sorry for your loss! [​IMG] I have lost a couple hens to predators, but never found bodies so I don't know what kind.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Typical GHO kill. Hopefully the survivors will smarten up and sleep in the coop tonight.

4. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I'm sorry about your loss:( I had guineas a while back. They're not that smart though ! The chickens and guineas use to free range at our backyard and when the chicks go inside before it got dark, guineas use to hang outside [​IMG]. Every night I would have to chase them back in and they use to fly on top of their coop [​IMG].

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  5. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Sorry for your loss definatly GHO, lets hope the others wise up and go indoors at night.

6. darkmatter

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Wouldn't a GHO be able to haul off a Guinea? I'm used to losses, having kept chickens/guineas for many years, but it's rare for me to find intact remains. Usually all I find are blood spots and feathers. Whatever took down this Guinea managed to drag it about 15 feet leaving a drag mark, but no footprints or other snow marks, so I assume it was trying to fly off with it. After dragging it about 15 feet, it must of decided to eat what it could. The Guinea was frozen solid first thing in the morning and I saw all four of them in the trees at dusk, so I assume the takedown was mid nighttime in order for the remains to freeze by the time I let the chickens out at dawn. (Nah, stupid Guineas don't seem to learn, they'll sleep in the Coop for a few nights, then return to the trees)

7. BlakesFarm

BlakesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Upstate SC
    That looks like what I found, when a dog killed all of our guinea fowl. [​IMG]

Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  8. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    I've said this repeatedly, Guineas do not like snow and will do everything they can to avoid it. Do not let Guineas out when there is now on the ground.

My flock has a covered outside pen that they can go in to but they are suffering cabin fever any way. It is better to have them unhappy now than dead later.

9. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Sorry to hear about your loss.

They can't be too dumb, they survive in Africa amongst all the lions, leopards, servals, etc, so they gotta have some kind of smarts. Perhaps they didn't want to walk on the snow like Robin416 said.

10. darkmatter

Jul 10, 2009
    Update, the Guineas were all up inside the Coop when I went to close the Coop up tonight. And even if you think the Guineas aren't stupid, it does seem as if they have only short-term memory. This has happened before, they will roost in the Coop for a while, then instinct kicks back in and they return to the trees.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by