Stupid Guineas, warning GRAPHIC pic

darkmatter

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 10, 2009
It was sunny yesterday, so I let the chickens/guineas out for the day to play in the snow. Four of the Guineas decided they'd rather roost in the trees then the Coop. One less in the morning, I assume an Owl too small to carry away the whole bird.

36435_guineakill.jpg

So sad. Sorry for your loss!
hugs.gif
I have lost a couple hens to predators, but never found bodies so I don't know what kind.

I'm sorry about your loss:( I had guineas a while back. They're not that smart though ! The chickens and guineas use to free range at our backyard and when the chicks go inside before it got dark, guineas use to hang outside
idunno.gif
. Every night I would have to chase them back in and they use to fly on top of their coop
rant.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Wouldn't a GHO be able to haul off a Guinea? I'm used to losses, having kept chickens/guineas for many years, but it's rare for me to find intact remains. Usually all I find are blood spots and feathers. Whatever took down this Guinea managed to drag it about 15 feet leaving a drag mark, but no footprints or other snow marks, so I assume it was trying to fly off with it. After dragging it about 15 feet, it must of decided to eat what it could. The Guinea was frozen solid first thing in the morning and I saw all four of them in the trees at dusk, so I assume the takedown was mid nighttime in order for the remains to freeze by the time I let the chickens out at dawn. (Nah, stupid Guineas don't seem to learn, they'll sleep in the Coop for a few nights, then return to the trees)

I've said this repeatedly, Guineas do not like snow and will do everything they can to avoid it. Do not let Guineas out when there is now on the ground.

My flock has a covered outside pen that they can go in to but they are suffering cabin fever any way. It is better to have them unhappy now than dead later.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

They can't be too dumb, they survive in Africa amongst all the lions, leopards, servals, etc, so they gotta have some kind of smarts. Perhaps they didn't want to walk on the snow like Robin416 said.

Update, the Guineas were all up inside the Coop when I went to close the Coop up tonight. And even if you think the Guineas aren't stupid, it does seem as if they have only short-term memory. This has happened before, they will roost in the Coop for a while, then instinct kicks back in and they return to the trees.

Back
Top Bottom