Stupid Hawk!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Jackie B., Mar 4, 2011.

1. Jackie B.

Jackie B. Paris Mtn. Eggs

May 13, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    So I know. I get it. When you free range chickens it's like putting a Snicker's bar in the backyard for any assortment of predators. My chickens are normally pretty good about the hawks: Hannah the rooster sounds the alarm and depending on where everyone is in the yard, they either dive under the bushes or hit the deck...literally.

Unfortunately today, the hawk got the last laugh and dove under the deck after them!!! And he got my Bonita, my first layer and Olive Egger at that. Yes I just burst into tears at work. Can you take short-term disability for chicken depression?

Now I need another Olive Egger!

[​IMG]

-Jackie

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011
  2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]
    Freerange does have it's perils, but it is worth it knowing the chickies are so happy when allowed to run about being chickies.
    We have alot of hawks in our area and had one close call. Dad heard squawking and ran over to see what it was. A hawk had one of the girls and was trying to hold on to her and pluck her feathers. Dad chased off the hawk and amazingly the chickie was ok minus alot of back feathers and only 1 scratch. The flock as a whole has learned to be more cautious. The girls pay more attention to the boys warning calls.
    Ofcourse, still notice that some of the girls have slid back to wandering away from the group not paying attention as they should.

Hawks are oppurtunistic and if they think they can risk the dive on an easy target they will.

3. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Hawks are mean.

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I had to take the day off when my favorite guinea pig died. [​IMG] The circle of life stinks sometimes!

5. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    So sorry for your loss.

Unfornately, the hawk has found a source of food and will be

back. I'd watch them closely when free ranging.

6. farm raised

farm raised Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2011
    ohio
    im sorry to hear that, my silkie was taken by a hawk 2 days ago [​IMG]

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    So sorry for your loss! Cute name for the roo!

Could you do a plastic run around the coop so they have a semi-safe spot? I have plastic fencing and some bird netting over it.Will slow things down long enough for them to get away. Ofcourse if the hawk goes in the coop they have no safety in there at all!

8. annep

annep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    I think when a hawk got ours, I used a more choice word other than stupid..heheheee...We have a deck that ours used to go under too..figured they were safe in there. It's only about a 1 1/2 feet off the ground..How high is yours?

9. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

10. helloroe

helloroe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    Cetral FL
    So sorry for your loss. I love their warning systems they use. Sorry the hawk was so determined.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by