Stupid Hawks

Hawks are like any other predator, they hunt when they're hungry. That could be any time from sun up to sun down. You're only safe from hawks after dark, but then you have owls and other predators to worry about & your chickens should be put up anyway.

For those considering shooting any bird of prey I offer words of caution. Many of these birds are micro chipped and tracked by DNR. If you get caught, the fines and punishments are extreme and expensive. You'd be able to pay to build a chicken fort knox or two with the amount. Far better to take cost effective methods/steps to negate the threat. It's really not that difficult.

Kathy, I have always related it to the scarcity of their natural prey. Local birds hatch in the spring, grow and survive into winter and hopefully breed again in the spring. The Hawks prey on the wild birds with great success in the spring and summer but the supply of prey is steadily dwindling. Late in the season, January, February seem to be the worst for chickens. (IMExperience) With my pigeons, I think the hawks considered them fair game from the start and went at them year round. As far as migrating? I don't know alot about it scientifically, but it does not seem like the birds migrating would make a difference. Are canadian hawks coming down to Indiana? If they are going south, why? They don't go to South America where it would in theory be warmer. Why would they all pile into Georgia and Florida? Makes no sense. I think most of the birds I see in my area are year round residents. I also believe this because if lord forbid one of the troublesome local birds should disappear, it's replacement is unlikely to go right to chicken hunting as it is not their natural prey. What time of day? I have personally seen more attacks later in the day. But of course, on weekdays, that is when I am out there. But who knows? I figure it is because they failed to catch their natural prey earlier because I believe they hunt early in the morning and continue til they catch something. I won't let my birds out too early. No need. But I like to free range my birds and it is just part of keeping chickens. You can't let it stop you from doing what you want. Latestarter, the microchip in those birds does not survive the gumbo cooking process.

Last edited:
Sorry for your lost I have Hawks fly over all the time but I have a mixed flock with ducks, guineas, and chicken. Not to mention I have three roosters that free range with them. They all seem to alert each other pretty well and take cover pretty quickly, the guineas especially seem to make sure everyone knows that there is a predator about, maybe you could get a couple ducks or guineas to help with alerting the chickens to the danger. Past that I really don't know what you could try.

Do those loud noise making cannons work for Hawks etc? saw ad on this forum. thanks

Someone on Facebook recommended that to me and said it worked. She said it even scared away the foxes. I'm not sure I'm entirely convinced. I can sometimes go for quite a while without a hawk attack. I get the impression that with a little bit of patience they may just move out on their own. My Facebook friend may be giving the fireworks too much credit.

I started a small flock this past spring. First time with chickens, I went with four based on what I read- with four you can afford to ‘lose one’ without having compromised the size of the flock. But losing one hurt more than I ever imagined. I lost my first chicken to a hawk today. My girls are confined to the coop with its attached run at night and during the day while I am at work. It’s covered but it is small (probably 64 sq ft total run and coop), so I free range them as much as I can. I had them out all day today while I was home, and then decided to make a quick run to the store. I am now kicking myself for not putting them away like I thought to do before I left. I came home and upon bringing the first bag into the house saw a hawk perched in the backyard. I dropped the bag and ran out the back door and the hawk flew away. I then began frantically searching the coop and the yard for any chickens. I was stunned. Began thinking that the hawk had actually carried away all four, one at a time. Upon my second check of the coop one dropped down who had apparently been perched up on top of a hanging feeder. I shut her up in the coop up and started wandering the yard again in a daze when two more heads appeared that had been hiding up near the house. They were hesitant to move, I went up and petted them and then pick them up and took them to the coop. I was hugely relieved to have found the three, but then I saw the feathers. I couldn’t even walk over to her. From a distance I could tell that she was gone. I had someone come and pick her up for me. Starting to wonder whether I can handle this. In summer we have so much foliage overhead it’s almost impermeable. I got too comfortable. But based on how sad I feel over this loss, I’m debating giving the remaining 3 girls to a fellow flock owner who I know takes good care of his girls. I see hawks in the neighborhood all the time. Never thought it would happen. Now I’m afraid it will happen again, and I’m terrified of losing another one. I got chickens because I love animals and I want them to be able to free range at least part time. As a single mother living in Wisconsin it’s hard to constantly supervise them while they’re outside. I plan to keep them in the coop at least for a few days to make sure that the hawk does not return, but again there are hawks regularly overhead in my neighborhood. I could look into partially covering an area of the yard, but the ladies just love roaming and scratching and dust bathing, and it’s time and money that will take some time for me. Ugh. Just devastated right now and looking to vent and seek advice, I guess.

I started a small flock this past spring. First time with chickens, I went with four based on what I read- with four you can afford to ‘lose one’ without having compromised the size of the flock. But losing one hurt more than I ever imagined. I lost my first chicken to a hawk today. My girls are confined to the coop with its attached run at night and during the day while I am at work. It’s covered but it is small (probably 64 sq ft total run and coop), so I free range them as much as I can. I had them out all day today while I was home, and then decided to make a quick run to the store. I am now kicking myself for not putting them away like I thought to do before I left. I came home and upon bringing the first bag into the house saw a hawk perched in the backyard. I dropped the bag and ran out the back door and the hawk flew away. I then began frantically searching the coop and the yard for any chickens. I was stunned. Began thinking that the hawk had actually carried away all four, one at a time. Upon my second check of the coop one dropped down who had apparently been perched up on top of a hanging feeder. I shut her up in the coop up and started wandering the yard again in a daze when two more heads appeared that had been hiding up near the house. They were hesitant to move, I went up and petted them and then pick them up and took them to the coop. I was hugely relieved to have found the three, but then I saw the feathers. I couldn’t even walk over to her. From a distance I could tell that she was gone. I had someone come and pick her up for me. Starting to wonder whether I can handle this. In summer we have so much foliage overhead it’s almost impermeable. I got too comfortable. But based on how sad I feel over this loss, I’m debating giving the remaining 3 girls to a fellow flock owner who I know takes good care of his girls. I see hawks in the neighborhood all the time. Never thought it would happen. Now I’m afraid it will happen again, and I’m terrified of losing another one. I got chickens because I love animals and I want them to be able to free range at least part time. As a single mother living in Wisconsin it’s hard to constantly supervise them while they’re outside. I plan to keep them in the coop at least for a few days to make sure that the hawk does not return, but again there are hawks regularly overhead in my neighborhood. I could look into partially covering an area of the yard, but the ladies just love roaming and scratching and dust bathing, and it’s time and money that will take some time for me. Ugh. Just devastated right now and looking to vent and seek advice, I guess.
So sorry for your loss. I am dreading the same thing. After a hawk attack, I have been with them every time they free range, but can't always do that. There are some suggestions that I have read about from hanging cds, to those plastic owls that move. I will be trying a combo of things. Good luck! And again, so sorry that happened.

Back
Top Bottom