Stupid Mille question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pennie1, Aug 2, 2010.

1. pennie1

pennie1 Redneck Silkie

Aug 17, 2009
    Hiles
    Is Mille a color or a breed? I have seen pics of bantam cochin Mille's and other breeds that seem to have only 1 thing in common, and that's the mottling of their feathers. Could someone please answer my question gently? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    It's a color [​IMG] several breeds do come in the Millie pattern and others are working on it still like the Cochin's I have seen some hatcheries call the D'Uccles by nothing more than Mille's...makes it very confusing for a new chicken nut to figure out..like when you see Frizzle...frizzle what?

3. pennie1

pennie1 Redneck Silkie

Aug 17, 2009
    Hiles
    Thanks for being so gentle. I thought it had to be a color, but wasn't quite sure. Heck, I've got some Mille mutts out in my yard!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    "Mille Fleur" is French for a thousand flowers. It's a color, although Mille Fleur d'Uccles are often referred to simply as Millies because the color is so common to that breed.

5. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

D'uccles are a seperate breed - they come in the colors: mille fleur, self blue (lavander), porcelian, golden neck, white + others I think.

Mille fleur is a color - and as far as I've seen its only recognized in a few bantam breeds - I've never heard of a Large Fowl in Mille Fleur - but i bet that would be awesome!

D'uccles (booted breed)
    I think its OEGB the little mille fleurs without feathered legs - I think those are OEGB
    In Europe Mille fleur cochins are recognized - and american breeders are working to standardize the color in bantam cochins here at the moment.
    Also i think there are a few who are working on a mille fleur bantam brahma as well.

No worries on questions! Thats what we're all here for to learn and share our knowledge with each other! [​IMG]

I'm excited I have 11 Mille fleur D'uccle eggs under a silkie that should hatch Thursday. [​IMG]

6. pennie1

pennie1 Redneck Silkie

Aug 17, 2009
    Hiles
    I appreciate all of the help. Sometimes people get a little over-enthusiastic and it tends to put people off. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

lol yeah. Hey I was there myself once - shoot I still ask questions, its a never ending thing.

Only thing that bugs me is the same person asking the same question/thread 2+ times in the same day or two. lol otherwise nothing bugs me really on this forum or people asking Q's in general. All good. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by