Chicken Breeds

noelsfarm

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2024
I recently created a post asking quetions about Satin Chickens, and the answers I got were very intertesting and intriguing. I have some more questions about breeding and selling chickens and am hoping someone know the answer to this or can help me.

My question is how well do Satins, Silkies, Mille De Fleurs, Sizzles and Bantam Cochins sell? Or does it depend on the area? (I live in the Midwest)

If anyone knows or can share their experience with selling any of these breeds I would greatly appriciate it!

Silkies are one of the easiest (in my opinion) chicken breed to be able to sell. Mostly due to their unique looks and calm personalities. I have seen non standard (missing the 5th toe and not pure black skin) silkie cockerel sell for $40 (from a well known breeder though). If you get good starting stock that meets or is close to the standard (the large poofy crest), the easier it is to sell them.

If you are going to sell chicks/chickens get the best you can and breed best to best. The difference between my big hatchery Brahmas and the Blue Ribbon breeder Brahmas is like night and day. People will take you more seriously if you breed for perfection (looks, conformation, personality).

They will cost more, but way way less than breeding best of dogs or horses.

Back
Top Bottom