Stupid question about crop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kuntrychick, Nov 12, 2011.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    How do you pronounce "crop" of a chicken? Is it the same as "crop" as in growing a crop like a wheat crop? The reason I ask is because we were up at this guy's house we know and he has chickens too and during conversation about chickens, I mentioned "crop" and pronounced it like growing a crop and he looked at me funny and corrected me and said "craw". I have heard of "craw" before and it made me think maybe I'm pronouncing it wrong...maybe it's one of those words that's pronounced different than it's spelled and "crop" is pronounced "craw". ???????

2. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I always call it 'crop' like you do. That's how I've heard everyone else say it, too.
    I've got Barbados Blackbelly sheep, they originated from the Barbados Islands (with the emphasis on the 2nd E). Yet everyone here in Oklahoma pronounces it "Barbie-doe" sheep lol I keep telling them they didn't come from the BARBIE-DOE Islands [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Odd as it is a Crop is pronounced crawl when talking about chickens and other fowl.

Matt

4. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Crop is crop and craw is craw but both are the same thing. It all depends upon who you are talking to. I call it a craw since that's what my mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother call it. The neighbor and the local vet here call it a crop since that's what the neighbor grew up hearing it called and, according to the vet, the books he had in school as well as his professors called it.

When talking person to person about birds, I've noticed that the older a bird person is, the more likely they are to use "craw" while the younger ones use "crop".

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It's two different words that mean the same thing:

craw noun \\ˈkrȯ\\

Definition of CRAW

1: the crop of a bird or insect
    2: the stomach especially of a lower animal

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/craw

Definition of CROP

1: a pouched enlargement of the gullet of many birds that serves as a receptacle for food and for its preliminary maceration; also : an enlargement of the gullet of another animal (as an insect)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/crop

6. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    I have always said crop. I have heard the word craw, but I didn't think about it being the same thing as a crop. lol

7. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    You say Craw, I say Crop, let's call the whole thing off!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by