Stupid question about crop

kuntrychick

Songster
10 Years
Jul 19, 2009
Alabama
How do you pronounce "crop" of a chicken? Is it the same as "crop" as in growing a crop like a wheat crop? The reason I ask is because we were up at this guy's house we know and he has chickens too and during conversation about chickens, I mentioned "crop" and pronounced it like growing a crop and he looked at me funny and corrected me and said "craw". I have heard of "craw" before and it made me think maybe I'm pronouncing it wrong...maybe it's one of those words that's pronounced different than it's spelled and "crop" is pronounced "craw". ???????

I always call it 'crop' like you do. That's how I've heard everyone else say it, too.
I've got Barbados Blackbelly sheep, they originated from the Barbados Islands (with the emphasis on the 2nd E). Yet everyone here in Oklahoma pronounces it "Barbie-doe" sheep lol I keep telling them they didn't come from the BARBIE-DOE Islands
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Crop is crop and craw is craw but both are the same thing. It all depends upon who you are talking to. I call it a craw since that's what my mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother call it. The neighbor and the local vet here call it a crop since that's what the neighbor grew up hearing it called and, according to the vet, the books he had in school as well as his professors called it.

When talking person to person about birds, I've noticed that the older a bird person is, the more likely they are to use "craw" while the younger ones use "crop".

It's two different words that mean the same thing:

craw noun \\ˈkrȯ\\

Definition of CRAW

1: the crop of a bird or insect
2: the stomach especially of a lower animal

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/craw

Definition of CROP

1: a pouched enlargement of the gullet of many birds that serves as a receptacle for food and for its preliminary maceration; also : an enlargement of the gullet of another animal (as an insect)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/crop

How do you pronounce "crop" of a chicken? Is it the same as "crop" as in growing a crop like a wheat crop? The reason I ask is because we were up at this guy's house we know and he has chickens too and during conversation about chickens, I mentioned "crop" and pronounced it like growing a crop and he looked at me funny and corrected me and said "craw". I have heard of "craw" before and it made me think maybe I'm pronouncing it wrong...maybe it's one of those words that's pronounced different than it's spelled and "crop" is pronounced "craw". ???????
I have heard a teacher reading aloud who pronounce “crop” as “craw.” I just thought is was just another one of those delightful English language eccentricities, like the R sound in “colonel” or the silent T “often.” I certainly don’t think “craw” is archaic. I think pronouncing it like growing a crop sounds silly. It’s craw to me and presumably others here and there.

Back
Top Bottom