Stupid Question, but I need help!

Ravie

Songster
9 Years
Aug 4, 2010
Greenfield, Indiana
I can't get the bottom off of my chicks' waterer. I've even used a rubber gripper to try to twist the two pieces apart. They're STUCK. My chicks need water and I have a spare feeder. I'd like to just use that until my husband gets home from work. Is there any safety issues with using an 8-hold feeder as a waterer? The chicks are 10 days old. I should add that this is a mason jar style of feeder.

Last edited:
As long as they can't fall in it should be fine. The water may not stay in it so you might have to consider just using a bowl with not enough water for them to drown in.

If you mean a regular chick feeder, it should be fine until someone can undo your regular one. I'm no expert but as long as they can get to clean water without drowning they should be fine. Anyone else have an opinion?

Exactly. And it's such a hot day. They're going to drink a lot. I just don't want anyone to get hurt because I'm using the wrong equipment.

Well. Whoever said that the feeder might not hold water is absolutely correct. What a mess. This is so frustrating.

If I went to town for a new feeder it'd take me more than an hour and a half. And the garage where the chickens are kept is already muggy at 85 degrees. There's got to be a way to get this waterer separated! /cry

Quote:
No problem..........You can use a mason jar and saucer for a temporary waterer, fill a mason jar, cover with the saucer, then invert it and wedge a matchstick under the jar edge to allow the saucer to refill. You can also use a planter's pot saucer which is deeper and fill it with marbles (after inverting) to keep the chicks from jumping in and drowning.
Note: where did you buy a mason jar style waterer that got stuck, mine barely screw on!

Try running the stuck jar/bottom (where it connects) under hot, hot water. Let run for a minute or two and then try untwisting.

For my chicks - I just use a shallow bowl, with marbles or rocks in it to keep the chicks from drowning if they plop into the bowl. If you are worried they will run out of water, put a couple bowls in the brooder.

Sometimes if you slightly pull up on one side of the bottom as you're trying to unscrew it will help. Mine sometimes seem glued on, however that happens. If not, I found you can also fill it part way just by tilting it underwater with the hole up.

Back
Top Bottom