Stupid question - identifying birds of prey

I would first investigate what birds are considered local for your area. That should at least give you a smaller list to look up. Google is really helpful. Check to see if there are bird watching groups in the area too. They'll be able to give you more info than a gerneralized book. Keep your flock covered with netting or something just in case. I've recently had a coopers hawk checking out my girls. Good luck!

In my area, it is usually red-tailed hawks, dark body, light under wings when in flight. But I do own a good bird book just in case. And just as I was putting my hens up at the end of September, a big bird landed in the tall tree next door. Got a good look in flight, and roosting, and time to grab my book. I think the zoo lost their golden eagle. He was greatly disappointed that the chickens were in their roofed run, and took off about 20 minutes later. Hasn't returned. (Right now I think I'd give him one of my production reds.)

Gypsi

I know this may be a stupid question, bit gonna go ahead & ask...LOL

When there's a big bird flying up in the sky, how can you tell of it's a hawk, a buzzard, crow, etc.

Today while I was outside with my chickens, I heard the roosters make that noise like when they've seen something. I have one teenage rooster that gives false alarms many times...if there's a leaf falling, he will make that sound.
roll.png
LOL. Then, I looked up & saw a bird flying over. It wasn't flapping its wings, just kinda soaring fairly low. It appeared to be black, bit not quite sure,

Well, right after this bird flew over out of sight, I heard what sounded like a crow (although I'm not totally sure of their sound) coming from another direction but never saw it. I know I've read on here that crows will scare hawks off, so that made me think the bird I saw flying over might have been a hawk.

How can one be sure of what kind of bird of prey is flying over?

Do any certain ones mostly soar or flap their wings? WhT kind of sound do they make, if any? What color? Etc.....
Wow. Not a stupid question at all. I had the same question.

When vultures are flying up above the wings look like they have fingers. Hawks and eagles do not have this feature. This is the easiest way to tell them apart.

Fun fact: if you hear the sound that is associated for a bald eagles in movies, it is actually a red tailed hawk. Bald eagles do not sound majestic at all.

Crows and ravens differ by their tails when flying. Crows are a more square shaped tail, while ravens are v shaped.

Back
Top Bottom