STUPID question on egglaying?

Search for trap nest. Though most people don't go to that extreme, they just put all of a certain breed/variety/line in a breeding pen so they know what the egg is but not the specific hen.

I have all my birds banded. I go out every once in awhile and see who's in the nest boxes and who's not.

A few of my hens lay eggs with certain qualities to them - one with purple speckles, one with speckles on the small end only, one that lays the oblong eggs. I've seen those hens lay those eggs and they lay them consistently; that's how I know.
Other than that, the rest of them lay brahma eggs and that's good enough for me.
I have two buff brahmas that I've only been able to tell apart for the last year or so, because one of them "Bluey" got into some blue paint and still has traces of it if I look real close. After she molts, I won't be able to tell anymore.
lol.png

Quote:
Hey, there are no stupid questions on BYC. Sometimes I can't tell if I have a RIR egg or a BR egg.

Last edited:
We've caught a few just before or just after laying and know who lays the dark brown, who lays the speckled egg and now, who lays on the floor of the coop instead of in a nest box (naughty girl)

Yes sometimes I waste far too much time in the chicken pen!!

I just basically asked this same question the other day. The only suggestions other than sitting out there all day and watching was to get a camera.

I think I've come up with a compromise. I'm setting my 8yo up with a comfy chair and bug spray and making her sit out there and let me know when there is a hen in the next boxes. She gets to use her walkie-talkies so she says she's up for it.

We got 50 chooks...about 30-35 are laying between every day to every second day...we get different eggs from most of them. anything from brown, no bigger than sparrows egg, white arounf 35-40 gr (thats our grey bantam girl) and up to 90 gram brown. aside from weight, there are speckels, dots, "scale" or hard grits on the base, some are round and some are thin and long. guess I could move in with them for a week or so to find out who lays hat but then again...as long as they are happy and lay!!!!!!
cool.png

So far I am an "eggspert" because I only have 2 pullets laying.
cool.png

The first to lay always uses the same nestbox and #2 uses the second box.

All bests are off when #3 & 4 get started. They are all brown egglayers except the Houdan who will lay a white egg.
And she is such a diva she probably won't lay until she has a private dressing room!

I've been lucky because I hear their bragging(egg song) and can tell who just layed what.
big_smile.png
When I go back to work(teacher aide) I won't be so lucky.
sad.png
I really love to hear their eggsitment when they are done!!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom