Stupid Question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by greenrootsmama, Feb 15, 2009.

1. greenrootsmama

greenrootsmama New Egg

Feb 15, 2009
    Harrisburg, PA
    Hi, I'm new around here and curious about ducks. What is the benefit to raising ducks? Do they offer something that chickens do not? I've had chickens for meat and eggs but never had ducks so I'm wondering how they contribute to the farm. I think they're beautiful animals but don't know if/how they might benefit our family.

Katie

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Advantages
    • Some ducks are better egg layers than chickens (khakis, runners)
    • Duck eggs are bigger than chicken eggs.
    • Ducks do not dig up the soil like chickens.
    • Ducks are funnier when they walk than chickens
    • Ducks can be used for mosquito control

Disadvantages
    • Ducks are very messy
    • They love mud
    • They clean themselves by transferring dirt from themselves to everything around them
    • Did I mention they were messy

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ducks have an awesome personality! if they bond with you, they will follow you around like a dog...and call to you and come running when they see you...i love my ducks...they have alot of personality...[​IMG]

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Advantages~

Ducks Rule

Disadvantages~nothing that can't be cured by a quack and a wappppity wap of little webbed feets.

5. greenrootsmama

greenrootsmama New Egg

Feb 15, 2009
    Harrisburg, PA
    I'm actually reading up on them now. I've only just started reading and I'm already getting excited about the idea of trying to raise some. We're planning to recycle our gray water using a sand filter and a reed pond so I think that having a few ducks to keep down the resulting mosquitoes and other pests will help. Also, we will be raising rabbits and I've read that ducks help with the maintenance of keeping the poop area cleaner. Now I'm reading that they're hardier than chickens. So far it all sounds very exciting. [​IMG]

Katie

6. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    I had been researching chickens for like two years but went with ducks instead. Mostly cause their eggs are definitely superior. and their housing requirements are as minimal as my construction skills. The bug control we will see but I live in the deep south so I am not hoping for a miracle.

7. fowlmood

fowlmood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    northern Michigan
    I have both chickens and ducks. I appreciate my hens and the eggs they lay, but in my opinion, the duck eggs are better. They are larger, firmer, richer and can be better used for baking. The ducks also seem to have a more playful personality. They are very cold hardy and don't mind snow and rain. A muddy/wet run is heaven in their opinions. If you are ever wondering, just go watch some ducks playing in a pond or pool and listen to some female ducks laugh. [​IMG] They are messy but I have no doubt you'll get hooked too. Good luck.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Ducks are so much fun!! If I could I would raise nothing but! They are very comical, lay lots of eggs (supposedly...lazy freeloaders), most of them are very winter hardy, there are just so many wonderful things about ducks!

I second terrie's 'Ducks rule' statement!!

My ducks will come looking for me if I don't feed them when they think I should. But with the weather warming up, they are eating less than half what they did a few weeks ago. The chickens are still begging. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  9. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    does messy = smelly?

Why are they better than geese?

10. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Ducks are great, but they stink far worse than chickens! The smell reminds me of pigs, in particular a brooder of ducklings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by