Stupid Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tyandmacsmom, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Tyandmacsmom

Tyandmacsmom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    I have four roosters; a silkie, we call Mama, (we thought he was a girl at first), a Delaware we call Big Boy, and two Australorps that I don't really have names for. Our silkie crows every morning, and half the day. I think I heard a garbled crow this afternoon from a different bird, and am not sure which one. The thing is, Big boy is almost 5 months old, so isn't that kind of late to start crowing? The Australorps are about 12 weeks...is it typical that with more than one rooster, only one will actively crow? (For what it's worth, I have seen both Mama and Big Boy try to "go to town" with the ladies in the past two weeks.)

Thanks in advance!
    Miranda

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Post pictures and we'll "out" the rooster.

3. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I had four white leghorn roosters and only one of them seemed to crow. The others kept pretty quiet until he wasn't around and then they would crow. I think he bullied them into being seen but not heard. They started crowing around six weeks old.

4. Prisserbabe

Prisserbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    Quote:X2 definetly would help [​IMG]

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Different breeds can start crowing at different ages. Some can start at 2 to3 months but most at 4 plus months. The boys may be practicing with the girls perfecting their technique.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by