1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Stupid questions from a first time chick person.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 2boxers, Apr 16, 2008.

1. 2boxers

2boxers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Halifax Co Virginia
    I have several. I am not entirely sure how old my chicks are. I have 8 total. I was told that five are capons (I didn't know until a few minutes ago that these poor things are castrated dude chickens, how sad is that) and three bantams. My three banties are fine. Four of my five others is fine. The fifth one who we named Lucy before we knew she was a he, has issues. So here's my stupid questions. Brace yourself. I know dogs, but chickens, not so much [​IMG]

1. The five capons are a golden/pale yellow color with a tan-ish comb. I can't post pictures because my computer is a POS. I don't know what breed they are-can any one tell me based just on my description? (Told ya. STUPID questions!)

2. Keep in mind that these are my very first chickens, aside from the frozen kind that you buy at Wal Mart. Just today I noticed that these guys have developed boobs. I mean, Dolly Pardon would be proud of these things. But they have all developed them only on one side? what?

3. They all have grand feathers-all 8. However, the five capons have funky, brittle feathers on their undersides. I am changing their bedding twice daily and doing my best to keep them dry & clean. Is there anything else I can do. These chickens were born about a week before Easter.

4. My one "ill" capon has been pretty much kicked out of the flock by the others. The bantams don't mess with him/her/it but the other capons try to kill it. At one point I thought this poor bird was going to die (Lucy is his/her/its name). I separated Lucy from the others and put the bantams in with him/her and now she is healing, but is stunted. Is that normal? No matter what we do with the other four capons, Lucy (likely to become Lucifer if he is in fact a he) will be a pet. The rest will be dinner.

If I can think of any more stupid questions (and I know I will) I will post them. Thank y'all in advance for your help. I have always wanted chickens, but I had planned to research this more before I committed to it. These chickens were sort of thrust upon me, thanks to a busy bodied mother.

HELP!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    1. It will be very hard to do without pics.

2. That is their crop, part of the diguestive tract. It is on their right side.

3. Check for mites and mite eggs along the feather shafts.

4. Its not normal, but it could be stunted from illness.

3. 2boxers

2boxers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Halifax Co Virginia
    Thank you Rooster Red.

On #2. Is this normal? The chickens (or roosters, I guess) are supposed to develop this way?

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Hi and Welcome - There are no stupid questions. If you don't know then research and ask questions That's what we're here for and there are so many incredibly knowledgeable people here that are so nice ... they'll help you.

Their crop is basically where they store their food. So, sometimes it will be larger than other times. That's totally normal and is in all chickens.

5. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Who told you they were Capons?
    Where did you get them?

I don't think chicks can be caponized, I believe they have to be at least 6 months old in order to do this. At least large enough to have developed testes.

Not many people do this anymore, at least around here.
    DH said his Dad knew how to do it, he learned how while taking an Ag course at a college., but he only remembers him doing it to a few roosters once when he was a kid, and he will be 50 this month.
    He hasn't seen or heard of anyone doing this since then.
    If anyone has more information about this please respond.

You said yours were feathered out, are they still juveniles or are they full grown?

Jean

6. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Hmmm, do u know what hatchery they came from???? What you could do is go to a hatchery page that shows pics of chicks, and see if you can find one that looks like yours. Mcmurray hatchery has chick pictures, cackle hatchery.....not sure of the rest, those are the two I always get hits for when looking for chicks....

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    The only stupid question is the one that was not asked...so not worries there.

I am fairly sure in order to be a Capon the bird has the bird must have developed testicals/testes.

They are fully feathered? Do they have any fuzz on them? How big are they?

8. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    There is no such thing as a stupid question.....only stupid people JK

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by