Stupid Stupid dog

so sorry to hear

I trained my dogs not to touch my birds
it takes TIME but can be done

last week we thought we had all the dogs inside
when we came home one meet us at the gate

oh no my chicks

THEY where all there loose in the yard(it was still early)
she did not touch a one

I love block head dogs once they learn what not to do they learn

I would take a dog like that in a min.
we love labs

again
sorry about your chicks

but dont give up just get smarter
big_smile.png

if you dog could get them so could something else

Sorry to hear that! My friend lost a few chicks to her Pomeranian.....I think it's so common for the family dog to kill chickens......I know my Irish Terrier, Fionna would love to "taste" one of my little bantam cochin chicks that I have in my brooder in the basement......

You're right though, they just can't resist....I'd be mad too! Can't help but feeling mad.....

hugs.gif

Quote:
He is the second lab we have owned. Our other lab was extremely intelligent. He was well trained and would do about anything. This one, even after going through all the training, he still gets a confused look on his face when you give him a command. My son says he swears he was dropped on his head as a puppy. However, I have to give him credit, he found the weak link in the fencing system. I don't know what I am going to do. My DH says not to make rash decisions and that it may just require more effort to get him under control.

How old is he? our hunting dogs haven't really calmed down and taken training to heart until about 2 years old.

How much exercise does he get? These dogs are bred to run through the fields all day and flush/retrieve birds. If you don't drain that energy off, they will find ways to use it that are not to your liking. Our setter will not burn enough energy on a walk to settle down, even if he is walked for 2 hours at a time. Luckily we have 10 acres and can play fetch every day for about an hour to take the edge off. It has been estimated that while bird hunting, Setters can run over 100 miles in a day. That is alot of energy!

I really do feel for you. I just don't want to even think about losing all my girls. But how "rash" do things have to get to do something? You just had all your chicken killed for fun. I worked with my dog and chickens a good bit before I felt comfortable. I even put dried meal worms on Morgan's body when he was laying down for the pullets to take eat. It took some doings to get them to trust him, but once that was overcome it just all came together. But the first thing was Morgan knew I was his master. I was boss, he knew it but still wanted to go everywhere I go. It's been like that for almost 4 years now. I can fuss at him for some little something, he'll drop his head like saying "I'm sorry". I leave him in that position just 10 secs or so just to let him think about then say, let's go Morgan. He bounds off like he just got a bowl of ice cream. Dog has to respect you first, then all the other things fall into place.

Good luck working with the dog. As to the chickens, I say start working on the coop and run now so when you're ready for new birds, everythings ready.
big_smile.png

Quote:
The dog really needs to be re-homed. Either your chickens or the dog will spend their entire lives restrained in order that both may live. Ask yourself how much your chickens mean to you and if starting again is what you really want or is it just what your husband said to placate you. I wouldn't start again until spring if I could help myself). It's important to let the emotions of you loss age a bit so as not to blur your decisions. I'm so very sorry for the loss of your birds and wish you the best that you're able to make the best decision for you and your family and the dog.

I would just make sure I had a more secure run or yard for my birds. You can also get a nice dog kennel an put a dogloo in it, keep the Lab in there when no one is home to supervise him. Some of the other posters are right, if the lab can get your birds, all kinds of other predators can too.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am still up in arms about what to do. At least I have time to think about it. The lab is just over a year and still hasn't calmed down. What is wierd is that he had shown no interest in the chickens before. I have always been cautious about never letting him around the chickens without supervision. He has been with me around the coop and never really paid them any attention. The only reason why we know it was him was because when we got home from work he wasn't in the front yard. My husband and I walked to the back yard and he was there in the back yard, he immediatly ran to the coop and climbed in under a big hole under the fence, grabbed one of the dead chickens and brought it to us. Now my husband is saying that he isn't positive that the lab killed them and that he feels something else may of gotten to them. I don't know. I know I can't officially trust him and IF we do decided to get more chickens I am going to work on making sure he understands "Leave it". Earlier this year, we had lost part of the flock when they were free ranging to a stray dog/coyote. We know it wasn't our dogs cause they were inside. My husband said today that he thinks whatever got the ones earlier this fall may of come back. He also says that he thinks the lab was just bringing the chicken to us as if to say "Look what happened". Unfortunitely, I have no definate proof it was not him. Maybe I am overreacting.

When we got our yellow lab Maggie, we were told that labs are puppies until they're 2 years old.
old.gif

It's so true! She was quite the puppy--once a cardinal got trapped in our screened-in porch and she caught it in mid-air as it was flying around. My dad opened her mouth and pulled out the slobbery but unharmed bird and set it free.

Back
Top Bottom