Stupid Stupid dog

Problems with a Lab and a Boston Terrier. That sounds familiar. Actually my Lab catches the hens when they get loose. She brings them to me unharmed. She should, she is a champion retriever. Her full time job is a service dog. My Boston, on the other hand, can be a problem with the birds. He has killed one of my birds, grabbed it by the neck and broke it. Then he dropped it and went on his way. My fiancee is a dog trainer and says that the Boston is just going to be that way. I got him at as a rescue when he was over a year old and he did not get used to the birds. I did get him to get along with the cats though. Critters... what can you say?

THEY ARE PUPPYS for a long time

they dont want to grow up

that is just a lab always pups

that is why I love them mine was 19 when he died still miss him
he was a Great dog but a big puppy most of his life

maybe you husband is right maybe it was not him

maybe he dug out to try to save them and chased the other critter off

if he was around them and you never had any trouble before

did he ever dig out before if not maybe he had a reason

Quote:
No, he has never dug out before. It was just weird day all around. When I let him out that morning, he didn't want to come back in, so my DH said he would be fine till we got home since he was in the front yard and had his radio collar on. At lunch today, we talked about it and he is convinced that Drake dug out to protect the chickens but was too late. He says that we will wait till spring and move the coop to a different area closer to the house, enlarge it and reinforce it.

I'm so sad to hear about your chickens. We just adopted a 3rd dog who was a little to inquisitive about our birds. We put an electric fence around our chicken area, and it only took one shock for Murphy never to approach our coop again. We had tried positive training and enforcing the leave it command, but since he's a scent hound, he doesn't really listen that well. But we haven't had any problems after each of our dogs got zapped on the fence. I would highly suggest it.

It sounds mean, but both my DH and I have been zapped so we know it's not too painful. More surprising than anything.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom