Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Now what do I do?(long post)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mamaKate, Aug 9, 2009.

1. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Songster

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The eye could also be from another rooster fighting this one. Does it just look sunken in?

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    have faith in yourself! you can do it~ You'll be OK! Breath, exhale, go get a drink, sit back and chillax~ [​IMG]

3. purpletree23

purpletree23 Songster

May 15, 2009
    You are certainly not an idiot!! You are a kind hearted person who went out of their way to help 2 helpless animals. I wish there were more 'idiots' just like you.

You wormed them and they more than likely are malnourished. Give them time to recover and become the beautiful birds they were meant to be.

You're the best!

P.S. Don't forget to worm with Ivermectin in 2 weeks to get the larger worms the piperazine can't kill.

4. mamaKate

mamaKate Songster

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    This morning both birds are much improved but both have bubbles coming from their eyes. Do I still go for the eye ointment?

5. obe10

obe10 Songster

Jul 14, 2009
    Irmo, South Carolina
    Quote:i totally agree

6. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Culling is the absolute last choice for me and it has to be pretty darn bad at that. I know I'm a softie but I'll jump through hoops to try and save a life. Give them a chance to heal, and if one is a roo look for a home.

7. obe10

obe10 Songster

Jul 14, 2009
    Irmo, South Carolina
    try terrimycin or tobermycin (anything that is totally ophthalmalic) that is what i used and it worked good

8. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Please get some POLYVISOL enfamil (no extra iron) and give three drops to the younger bird and four to the older bird in beak once a day for a week then taper off the next. This is a liquid childrens A-B-D vitamin (vit A deficiency is usually also present with eye and respiratory disorders and articles usually advise a supplement). See here;
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/206922.htm

Dont count on the piperazine having gotten all the worms because you dont know what worms they might have had (Piperazine is not a broad spectrum wormer but only effective on ascarids). Piperazine is thought to exert “curare-like” effects on susceptible nematodes, thereby paralyzing or narcotizing the worm and allowing it to be passed out with the feces (it does not kill them and will not deal with all stages of the worm).
    See the chart on this page:
    http://www.aviagen.com/docs/Intestinal Worms_TUVol1.pdf

Read here on the common worms and treatments:
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/202800.htm
    excerpt regarding piperazine:
    "....Piperazine compounds are relatively nontoxic and widely used against ascariasis. Several piperazine salts are available internationally. Because only the piperazine moiety is efficacious, doses should be calculated based on mg of active piperazine/bird. Piperazine should be completely consumed by birds within a few hours because only relatively high concentrations of the drug eliminate worms It may be given to chickens as a single dose, 50-100 mg/bird, or at 0.2-0.4% in the feed or at 0.1-0.2% in the drinking water... There is increasing evidence of significant piperazine resistance in the USA...."

Is there anyone you could get a sufficient quantity of ivomec Eprinex from to treat these two birds? This is a broad spectrum wormer (will get everything really except tapeworms) and very safe to use with a bird that is ill.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  9. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Songster

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    I use Gentamycin (sp?) antibiotic eyedrops the eye dr. gave me for an infection... one drop, each eye. Works great for me and anything here...chickens, cats, etc. Any antibiotic eyedrop will probably due fine though.

Glad to hear they are doing better. Keep up the good work!! [​IMG]

10. obe10

obe10 Songster

Jul 14, 2009
    Irmo, South Carolina
    Quote:as long as it is ophthalmic it should work (remember these are chickens not people lol)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: