Sub-forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

KlaHaYa Gardens

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
When I look at the sub forums, some of them are a bit overwhelming and some of the threads too long, imho. It seems that some could benefit from further division.

One I would like to suggest is a separate section for Muscovy ducks.

Another would be for Marans. They are so popular and so many discussions that could be divided (color, breeding, etc.) the current thread is overwhelming and one (I) get lost even trying.

Lastly, it's natural that gardening and all these feathered friends go together. There is a hobby sub-forum, but can we have a gardening sub-forum, please? I use my birds as part of my gardening process, as do many others I know. It would be nice to have this area dedicated, clean, and organized.

I realize these suggestions mean a bit of extra work (but should actually serve to simplify in the long run and make it easier). I am not one to suggest more work without offering to help. If I can help, I am willing. I could moderate a subforum, if that would help.

Thank you.
smile.png

Thank you, but it would be nice to have a section here dedicated to gardening with our birds. I don't think this should be an all inclusive gardening site by any means, but I do think a bird/gardening section would be fabulous.

Birds/gardening: bugs, compost, manure, weeding, thatching, etc. These are specific issues that I think work better addressed here to those who own birds.

Just a thought. I would enjoy it and appreciate it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if Nifty is going to make a gardening section for birds, but (I know this may not be organized for you) you can always post in the birds section, Expamle: Say you have a question like "Will my ducks eat these plants?", instead of the "Hobbies" section you can post that in the ducks section, and you will get the answers you are looking for. I don't know for the extra duck sub-forums. Muscovies are covered in the duck section as well, so I'm not sure we need a sub-forum for it. I get how it might be easier to find what you're looking for in specific sub-forums, but if you ask in the section closest to your question, then you will still get answers. It can be a little confusing at first, but I have no doubt that you will catch on to all the forums, and finding the answers you need!
wink.png

@DuckLover179

I have seen the duck sub-forum; I am aware it is there. Knowing that it is there, I believe it would be helpful/useful to have a Muscovy sub-forum. One can only squeeze in so much in one area before it becomes a jumbled mess and frustrating vs. rewarding to use. That is the reason I made the suggestions. The modifications would be helpful/useful to me, and I imagine to many others.

I wanted to post/discuss about the current/proposed Federal regulations that put the Muscovies under the Migratory Bird Act as managed by Division of Migratory Bird Management, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. This would be a topic that would best be seen/found for those who keep Muscovies in a Muscovy thread.

I would imagine that if one were specifically interested in Muscovies, they would be inclined to look in and utilize a Muscovy sub-forum more than wading through pages of various topics that primarily concern domestic ducks that are offspring of Mallards.

My suggestions would be better described and considered by who they WOULD be useful to, rather than whom they would not. I would not expect someone interested in slugs, for instance, to appreciate my suggestions for a Muscovy sub-forum, a gardening with birds sub-forum, or dividing the overwhelming Marans thread, that covers numerous topics, into a subforum of its own.

I appreciate the comments, but I would appreciate it more if Nifty had the opportunity to consider why these suggestions would be helpful, rather than this thread be filled with posts about why my suggestions don't apply to individuals not interested/affected by them one way or the other.

Last edited:
The discussion of sub-forums has come up quite a few times over the years. Unfortunately this forum software doesn't support them, but we do keep the suggestion on the list if / when there comes a time that we can add them and it makes sense.

Nifty,

Could you clarify for me, please. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the terminology. I see what I understand to be sub-forums here. Are you saying there is a limit with respect to how many sub-forums or sections you can create? Muscovies, for instance, if a Muscovy section was added along side ducks, geese, other waterfowl, etc., there would be no more room with this software?

Thank you.

Oh, sorry, I didn't understand. Usually the forum hierarchy is as follows:

Discussion Board
---Catagories
------Forums
---------Sub-Forums (which are not supported)

It sounds like you saying you'd like to see more forums added?

We won't be adding a gardening forum to BYC. We made that decision long ago not to be an all things forum to all people and gardening would definitely lead us way down that path.

The forum staff have discussed creating sections for different breeds, but so far the cons have outweighed the pros, but we do re-evaluate these kinds of things from time to time.

Splitting up the "ducks" section is something that may make sense at some point since that section has grown rapidly. When we do our next forum section review we'll need to determine which forums to add, remove, split, and merge.

Thank you for the clarification.

If the hierarchy is "forum" here, then yes, that is what I'm asking for.

1) Specifically a "Muscovy" Forum.

2) I completely agree that this should NOT be a place all things, to all people, etc. However, I note there is a "Hobby" "forum", where arts and crafts and soap-making live. Personally. I see that as a further stretch from birds, than a forum "gardening with birds". I also find domesticated parrots and guinea pigs a stretch, and yet they live here, too. I have no objections to any of them mind you, I'm just contrasting and comparing.

My request for a forum "gardening with birds" is very specific and not all-inclusive. I do think it lands better here than on a gardening forum, because of the nature/knowledge of caring for birds and the issues of the bird/gardening marriage seem more specific to the bird side of the conversation. Please do consider this. I do not want to get lost on a gardening forum/site with people great at gardening, but less knowledge of birds. I don't want to get lost in petunias and hybrid corn. I want to talk about birds as they relate to the garden. Bird keepers who garden, too, NOT gardeners who keep birds, too.

3) Regarding Marans, and specific breeds, yes, "sub-forums" seem to make more sense.

Until the thread is divided or sub-forums exist, I will steer clear of the Marans thread because it is too overwhelming and all inclusive of numerous topics. Same with the Washington State thread. Too big, too many topics. It is hard to follow one issue because there are so many. For example: meet-ups vs local shows vs Pierce County bird legislation vs Pierce County utilities encouraging sustainability and keeping chickens; that's four separate topics in the last few pages alone (and there was more).

Thank you, Nifty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom