Nifty-Chicken

Administrator
BYC Staff
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
This topic has been discussed a few times, but I thought I'd make an official post.

BYC has a great feature that allows you (if you are signed in) to subscribe to a thread / topic. This allows you to receive email notifications when a new reply is posted to the topic.

I'm a HUGE fan of this feature and think everyone should be using it. Basically if you subscribe to any forum post, the system will shoot you an email when someone replies to the thread. With such a busy forum it is hard for everyone to keep up on their favorite topics, so this allows you to get a single quick email when someone replies.

I will often subscribe to my own threads that I have started so I can be notified of new posts even if they happen a year from now. I'll also do the same for topics that are really interesting to me so I'll receive notifications when they are updated.

NOTE: The forum will only send you one email IF you aren't active on the forum, BUT if you are subscribed to a topic and you are happily browsing the forum and the topic to which you are subscribed, you will continue to get notifications if others reply to that thread.

For example, subscribe to a popular thread and then close your browser. You'll get one email, even if that thread gets 30 replies.

BUT, if you subscribe to that thread and hit refresh over and over on that thread (as people are posting new replies), you'll get a few emails about new replies.

You can see a list of all the topics to which you are subscribed by clicking on the "Show your subscribed topics " link at the bottom left of the forum.

You can also unsubscribe to topics by visiting them and clicking "Unsubscribe" at the bottom of the page. Unfortunately we don't yet have a mass unsubscribe feature.

A few other related items:

"Show your posts " - This will show you all the threads that you've posted in. Really helpful to keep up on the items that you were interested enough to post a reply to.

You may also notice a little dot next to some topics when browsing a main forum section . This tiny dot signifies that you've posted in that thread.

Enjoy using these tools to keep up with all the exciting things happening on BYC!

celebrate.gif

rimshoes, GREAT reminder! I hadn't even thought about that since that's the first setting I change in my profile.

I use it for the same reason and also like it because it allows me to read what was posted via email on my phone without having to browse the web.

Honestly we may set that as the default since it is so helpful!

To clarify, if you subscribe to a thread, you will get one email notifying you of replies until you visit the thread again while logged in.

Sorry, I had to add to that, Rob. It took me a while to get it.
tongue.png

Quote:
So do I, because I have no memory. If I'm interested in something, I always subscribe to it, because I'll never remember where it is to view the topic again. It really is a great feature.

paula:)

Quote:
So do I, because I have no memory. If I'm interested in something, I always subscribe to it, because I'll never remember where it is to view the topic again. It really is a great feature.

paula:)

I do the same thing- but I do get to look at eleventy thousand emails every day.... when I remember to open Outlook!

I'm afraid I'll miss something!
lau.gif

Yup, I use it too. And one of my topics I created last May never got any responses until recently, and I got an email! Some one was browsing the unanswered posts feature and found it!

It could be that I need a coffee, but I have looked everywhere......how do I unsubscribe?????

Found it! Nevermind.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom