Suburban backyard chicken's egg compared to EggInnovation's $4.69/doze

6chickens in St. Charles

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
St. Charles, IL
Our 3 hens haven't been laying eggs much lately, so I bought a carton of Very Expensive Cage Free Eggs at $4.69/dozen from our local Jewel-Osco. I cooked one of ours and one of theirs side by side over a little bokchoi in canola oil. Ours is an old egg from the fridge that our EE hen "Roaster" laid a few weeks ago. Her eggshells are very thin because she's a slob who lays around much of the time unless chasing a child for frito's and cookies, but she must be eating something right because her eggs cook and taste great. We feed Purina Layena in the morning and occasionally for an afternoon snack, but the chickens roam the yard eating grass, weeds, bugs and whatever they can scarf off a child.

So here's how they looked in the frying pan: Roaster's egg (left side of the pan), though old and broken from her usual brittle thin shell, is still oranger and the eggwhites still hold shape MORE than the expensive store bought egg, which promised "delicious, nutritionally rich eggs" from cage free hens. The flavor of Roaster's egg is far superior to the store bought egg. Why? Does anybody know why? All that work goes into those expensive store bought eggs, but my backyard hen's egg is still far superior. Just wondering, scientifically, why?
25976_roasters_egg_compared_to_469_store_egg.jpg

No help from me as to the "why" but since getting my own homegrown eggs I have become a Total Egg Snob.
I NEVER order eggs from a restaurant - they have no taste for me anymore.

Everyone I share the wealth with agrees my girls make the tastiest eggs.
I was feeding free choice Layena too, but switched to Nutrena Sunfresh when my feedstore started selling it for $6.99/50#
My hens get limited freerange time - only when I am not at work - but lately they get weekends out nearly all day & they are loving that.
They do get daily outside time in their yard where they are free to pick at whatever green stuff they have not devoured into submission and scratch for bugs.

And I can top your $4.69/doz - Whole Foods in Chgo sells brown "free range" eggs singly for $.59 apiece
Who in their right mind will pay $7.08 for a dozen eggs?????

Last edited:
Um...yeah...
But you get to reap the rewards
big_smile.png

I just keep picturing these Yuppies shelling out {no pun intended} $7+ for eggs
Sheesh!

Well, I thought I'd be one of them, because its so hard to love inferior eggs. What will I do now? I hoped these store bought eggs would be somewhat good! I don't really want to add to my flock, but they don't lay many eggs anymore. They're still great pets. Maybe theyre just moulting again.

One neighbor buys eggs from a farmer's market lady for around $5 a dozen, I think she says they're pretty good. Maybe I can arrange to try those.

Wish you lived closer to me.
My feedstore is selling homegrown eggs for $3/doz
Local Farmers Market gets $4

Gee - you made me think.
My hens are just 1yo, whatever will I do when they stop laying?
Slowing down is not a problem as it's just me here on the farm.
I'd be happy if I got 1 or 2 eggs per day.

I'm going home now
TGIF!!!

Labels don't mean much to me. I buy eggs in our local store. I know the lady who sells them and she has a pretty good business going. Now I have not looked over her set up but her eggs taste better then the commercial eggs.

Makes me think of a story my friend, Jake, told me.
He used to run a hatchery and sell birds and eggs. He had this woman come in asking for a dozen white eggs. He said the brown eggs were just the same and a bit cheaper. No she wanted the white eggs.
Well he took a white egg and a brown under the counter and broke each one into a seperate cup, put it on the counter and asked her to tell him which was from the white and which was from the brown.
She said she didn't care she wanted white eggs.
he.gif

Quote:
Hey there 2DogsFarm! Its been a year already since this post! We allowed our broody girls to hatch 9 chicks, so we have 4 new layers (and another family started up hobbyfarming with our 5 babyroos). Now we have 7 hens and average 3-6 eggs a day. Our Roaster still lays about 3 per week, she's 3 years old. Somebody here on BYC posted "the older hens who hardly lay make great coop insulators for the younger laying hens", so that's what we have. The older ones are still great at weeding and bug eating, and for pleasant company in the garden.

How are yours?

Hey 6chickens!

I added to my flock last Summer when my Houdan went on a Broody Binge that lasted 3 months (!!!!!).
I got 2 day-old chicks from a friend - thinking to slip them under her - when I visited over a weekend....
THE DAY I got home with the babies Ms Houdan was all "NTYVM, Not Broody anymore"
roll.png

So I raised the babies, one of whom turned out to be a rooster
roll.png
roll.png

Now I have 6 hens & all are laying like there's no tomorrow.
I feed them 2 eggs scrambled every morning, try to find recipes that use a lot of eggs, give away the occasional dozen & STILL always seem to have at least 1/2doz on hand.

I have also converted a friend into an Urban ChickenLady - she just got 2 laying hens & 2 pullets yesterday.
They will live in a coop in her Chgo backyard. TRUE Urban Hens
cool.png

I'm going to visit her today to inspect her layout & give her the benefit of my experience with chickens.
I'm also passing along the wooden eggs I salted my nestboxes with 2 years ago
big_smile.png

So far {knock wood} all my hens are still laying & even though Teen Roo is doing his best ManlyMan impression, noone has gone broody so I don't know if I've gotten any fertilized eggs. I did consider allowing anyone who wanted to set to see if they would hatch, but so far no takers.
My coop is large enough so that when they taper off I can probably add 3 more for eggs.

Quote:
gig.gif
TeenRoo! What luck! Before you know it, you'll have all the laying hens you want!

That's how we get more chickens. We let the broody(s) set on eggs. Right now, they're settin on ONE egg, which I marked with a green crayon so I pick up all new ones but leave that one under the hen. Its the product of Roaster and the roo, who's been re-named Mr. Woof. I saw them on a date, and I put her egg from the following day under a broody hen. Here's their picture:
25976_roaster_and_peeps.jpg

Don't care if its a baby hen or another TeenRoo! Those two combined = nice new birdfriend. Either way, I win.
wee.gif

Aren't we lucky?!

Back
Top Bottom