Eggs not ready to be chickens

ILuvsChicks

Songster
10 Years
May 17, 2013
Missouri
This is day 23 of incubation. Just a barn yard mix of eggs. There are in an older 'Little Giant' with egg turner. Figured things just didn't work out. So I took one out and dropped on a rock to see how rotten it was. To my surprise it was still alive and developing. But is was a long ways from hatching. Guess I'll keep waiting. How long should I give them? On a side note I have also bought a newer 'Little Giant'. This one has the digital read out and all. Got goose eggs in it. everything went good for three weeks. Then one cold morning I went the check them and the temperate was 121 degrees. Cooled it back down and has worked fine since. Course I know the eggs are dead. I haven't messed with them. They were to be ready in about six more days. Taking up a new collection from my geese now to replace them. I was at the store I bought it from yesterday. I told the lady they cooked my goose. Picture is about 30 minutes after I murdered it.

Attachments

• IMG_2624.jpeg
    IMG_2624.jpeg
    513.3 KB · Views: 32
This is day 23 of incubation. Just a barn yard mix of eggs. There are in an older 'Little Giant' with egg turner. Figured things just didn't work out. So I took one out and dropped on a rock to see how rotten it was. To my surprise it was still alive and developing. But is was a long ways from hatching. Guess I'll keep waiting. How long should I give them?
Sounds like your temperature is too low. Are you using a calibrated thermometer/hygrometer? Lets see, older little giant is that still or forced air and where are you running the temps? Still air should be about 102.

temperate was 121 degrees. Cooled it back down and has worked fine since. Course I know the eggs are dead.
What do you mean by cold morning? Where are you running your bators at? They should be somewhere that doesn't swing in temp more than 10 degrees.. even that's not ideal.

I've had short term temp spikes and embryo's still lived, how long they were at that temp and also what development stage it happened at makes differences. I've also had power outages.. and embryos still lived.. some had deformities (bent feet).. but 50% were still perfect.

I told the lady they cooked my goose. Picture is about 30 minutes after I murdered it.
That's not a goose and nor was it murdered. It's a hatching egg with an embryo that didn't make it for whatever accidental reason. Still sorry for your experience. I know it can be rough. :hugs

Have you considered candling before breaking open? Is this your first time incubating?

As far as my little knowledge on this goes, if they're incubating under colder temperature (say 36C) they will take longer to develop. Honestly as long as the eggs don't smell rancid, I would just keep em in longer and candle them. No need to toss eggs and destroy what could have been a slow growing chicken.

They are out in a shed. Shhh. It's a secret. My Wife doesn't want anymore. I plan to surprise her. It has got down the freezing a few nights. But when I check the it say around 99.5 more or less. Got a thermometer in the older one. It's designed for incubating. No forced air in the older one. New one does have that and digital read out for temperature and humidity.
Yes the egg pictured is/was a chicken egg. The ducks eggs are in the newer incubator. I was going to let them go a while longer while I collect some more. As far as candling goes. Never had a 'store bought' one. But I've tried cutting a hole in cardboard and holding it to a light. I never could see anything.
So maybe bump the temperature up to 102 and wait a while longer.

They are out in a shed. Shhh. It's a secret. My Wife doesn't want anymore. I plan to surprise her. It has got down the freezing a few nights. But when I check the it say around 99.5 more or less. Got a thermometer in the older one. It's designed for incubating. No forced air in the older one. New one does have that and digital read out for temperature and humidity.
Yes the egg pictured is/was a chicken egg. The ducks eggs are in the newer incubator. I was going to let them go a while longer while I collect some more. As far as candling goes. Never had a 'store bought' one. But I've tried cutting a hole in cardboard and holding it to a light. I never could see anything.
So maybe bump the temperature up to 102 and wait a while longer.
Most tabletop incubators say to use in ambient temps from 65 to 75 degrees. Don't believe they will keep up well below freezing.

Most tabletop incubators say to use in ambient temps from 65 to 75 degrees. Don't believe they will keep up well below freezing.
Maybe will have to wait for warmer weather. Thanks for all the advice. For now I'll just keep waiting and see. I'll let y'all know if anything breaks (out).

But when I check the it say around 99.5 more or less. Got a thermometer in the older one. It's designed for incubating. No forced air in the older one.
There's your issue.. at least in part. Temp should be 101.5 -102.. in still air, measured at the top of the eggs not on the floor. I actually like still air and prefer it for the hatching part.

Yes, I would probably bump the temp and give them longer, expectations being low but also knowing that life finds a way! I might also leave the temp and see what happens.. I hate making (screw style) adjustments mid term (gotta make sure it's the right direction, etc).. so maybe do minor adjustment and give several hours to see what happens on the thermometer.. I wonder how far that chick was developed compared to where it should be. Gross pic follows, image from google..
1711560038379.png

As far as candling goes. Never had a 'store bought' one. But I've tried cutting a hole in cardboard and holding it to a light. I never could see anything.
Inside a dark space.. using my cell phone flash light works pretty well, depending on egg color and development level. If needed I cup my hand to make the light hole smaller or more focused. I like to candle from the air cell end (and then all around).. and admit it's not my strong point. I've opened a slow developer and had an eyeball looking back at me. :sick

They are out in a shed.
Setting a larger cardboard box over the top.. can help combat swings. As stated by another poster they are designed to work within a specific temperature range.. which my house does not meet.. Adding extra insulation made a huge difference.. be sure the vent holes aren't blocked. I used old blankets etc.. careful also not to cover the thermostat device. (maybe not both??) You might also move eggs around daily to combat warm/cool spots and keep hatch frame tighter.

Shhh. It's a secret. My Wife doesn't want anymore. I plan to surprise her.
Hmm.. I once decided it's easier to get forgiveness than permission. I brought home a mini pig, surprise.. now we have 2 and I've been paying the price since, lol! :smack

Well, it feels good when I know the information *can* be helpful and this has been one of those times, adventure on! :highfive:

Went out this morning to check things out. Heard a chirp. Thought it must had came from a bird outside. Opened up the incubator and found this little fellow. I was getting ready to put the egg turner back in. Guess I won't do that. Signed: Happy New Dad

Attachments

• IMG_2635.jpeg
    IMG_2635.jpeg
    434 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom