suburban meat birds

I also hide my butchering from prying eyes. People have gotten weirder and weirder as the years have past, so it's best to keep things as private as possible.
A chicken is literally the last thing you can process yourself around here to get it on the table.
And, I think the only reason that didn't get outlawed is because it's such a sensitive subject.
Poultry, all poultry, is exempt from tax here, by specific law prohibiting any and all taxation, because that's like the last thing people had to grow for protein and fat on basically nothing (the whole flock would get a handful of grain at night to bring them in).
If one thinks about it, such developments (not being allowed to keep and process) are pretty insane.

Of course one can't keep a steer on an apartment, that's common sense, but in a lot of places on this globe people still buy their poultry (or other small game) alive on the market and process in their sometimes one room apartments. This works, is done on a regular basis, and it's absolutely normal. When a predatory animal catches a prey, 'nature-lovers' call it wonderful nature. When a man processes his catch (be it hunted or grown) it becomes unnatural, disgusting and criminal (outlawed in many places by those same 'nature-lovers').

It's quite possible that my wiring isn't the best (I'm actually fairly certain of that fact) but people urging for natural things (such as putting food on the table and being unwilling to be dependent on malafide organizations for that) to be outlawed because of some perceived Disney notion of nature and natural, should have their heads examined. Or at the very least, should have their agendas questioned.

I think it would actually be good for children to see, learn and realize where the foods they eat come from. But ultimately the parents decide on that.
I once build a huge fire on an island in a far away country (way east in Asia). Open fires have been outlawed here decades ago, so anytime I find myself somewhere it's allowed => 'pyromaniac' takes over. People always come over to 'have a look', end up sitting around it and have a good time socializing and bonding. On this particular island I was asked where I learned to build fires. I didn't know what to say because in my mind (up until then) everybody is born with that 'skill'. Then it hit me that these were multi-million-city people on holiday and the closest they came to an open fire were candles.

Whether to eat meat or not, or less, is a choice, and as such should be respected. It is not ok, however, to tell someone else they should eat less, more or none at all.
I used to eat very little meat for years, until I realized that it wasn't all that good for my health. That was my experience and because of it I eat meat on a daily basis. Anyone not wanting to eat meat or very little is fine by me, maybe it works for them. I'm no advocate for eating meat every day (it has it's negative consequences also if one overdoes it, to be on the clear), but I am an advocate for everybody minding their own business.

You guys in the US are lucky, hang on to your freedoms and protect them all with all your might, because a single freedom taken away opens a barn door to take the rest. And, although you are still in a lucky position, that barn door is already wide open.

Then it hit me that these were multi-million-city people on holiday and the closest they came to an open fire were candles.

I once had a job at a historical site where we ended up having to put later-than-period glass-sided lanterns into the loom house because people kept putting their hands into the candles to see if the flame was real.

🤦‍♀️

If people would learn to mind their own business, it wouldn't be an issue. When I lived in town, I would butcher in my back yard. Even had people stop to see the deer hanging in the tree, or watch the process. I had one person ask for the deer legs for his dog.
I bought my farm and haven't looked back. Closest neighbor is 1/2 mi away. When I was butchering chickens a few weeks back, he was butchering a hog. I could see him across the field because my corn was just starting to pop out and hadn't screened him out yet.
I think everyone should see where their food came from, not just from the store. I raise or hunt the majority of the meat my family consumes. Even my city slicker in-laws come to visit and join in on "killin' day"

Oh I'm definitely not opposed to people growing their own plants and raising/butchering their own animals. I have Thoughts about what it's done to our society as a whole that we've become so disconnected from our food sources, but that's a discussion for another time. :)

I'm also not opposed to children learning from a young age about their food sources, including animals and their butchering. My granddad took me fishing as a young 'un and we'd go home and eat those fish for dinner and it never bothered me. However, I can't make that decision with someone else's child without a lot of arguments, so I'd rather just avoid that can of worms for now.

I once had a job at a historical site where we ended up having to put later-than-period glass-sided lanterns into the loom house because people kept putting their hands into the candles to see if the flame was real.

🤦‍♀️
Really? Have we gotten this far? So, saving our species is out of the question I guess?

Even had people stop to see the deer hanging in the tree, or watch the process. I had one person ask for the deer legs for his dog.
I would not have a problem with that. A good conversation helps to make a good neighbor. I do have a problem with being accused of the worst things just for doing what we as a species have always done.

... but that's a discussion for another time. :)
Absolutely, and I do want to apologize if I got carried away a bit.
Do your butchering out of sight and you should be ok. If not, and someone comes around whining, invite them for dinner. That might solve it. Or get them completely mental, that's also possible. :)

Last edited:
I live in a neighborhood with an HOA. I have a 6' fence around my yard and butcher back there every year. So far nobody has been bothered. We always have music going and some friends usually come over to help too. I suspect most people think we're just having a get together, haha. I have a plucker that we run without issue as well. I usually run too many chickens through my yard, so that's my biggest issue. I'm just breaking into meat rabbits so I'll likely be reducing the number of chickens I do in a year, which I'm ok with (I'll probably do a couple batches of 10 instead of 30-ish). For the neighbors with kids, maybe just warn the parents that the kids won't want to come to the fence line that day? I'd think most people would be understanding if you cared enough to give them the heads up where needed.

I live in a suburban neighborhood, I've got three chickens right now, a laying hen and two pullets. My county allows backyard poultry with a license, and my HOA's wording on outside pets is vague (they say 'no livestock raised for commercial purposes' well...mine are for personal use :p). My surrounding neighbors all find my chickens rather amusing so I don't fear them trying to cause trouble by calling Animal Control or anything.

I am interested in raising some broilers for myself. I am definitely not looking to have a big operation going, more like just a few birds once or twice a year as I'm able. My yard isn't really big enough to support more than that, and I work full-time so that limits my ability to do these things.

The whole process of butchering birds looks like something I can handle. My biggest concern is that as much as my neighbors will leave each other well enough alone, I have a feeling that if they see me slaughtering chickens in my backyard there's going to be trouble. Is there anyone here who has processed broilers in a similar setting? I do have a patio with an awning that I could enclose in a tarp so the neighbors wouldn't have to see, but I'm sure that's just as suspicious. Or do I need to find someone to lend me space for a day where prying eyes are less likely?
How close are you to Salisbury? sometimes I get 25 Meat birds of all varieties and sell (at cost and zero profit) some of them to people who only want to raise to few. I have no problem raising 25 birds, I just can't eat 25 birds in a year lol. So if you struggle to find a way to order a small amount of meat birds message me on when the next time I order meat birds if you live close enough to Salisbury. I actually recommend other people and other locations do this so people with less resources/land/demand4chickenmeat can coordinate on buying chicken in bulk. This can go for egg chickens too.

I read an article about people living in an apartment in eastern Europe. The apartment building would take turns buying and butchering live sheep for fresh meat in their living rooms. Little refrigeration or power, so a kind neighbor showed the new people how to not make a mess. Really interesting read. Sheep was divided and everyone had fresh meat. Point is anything is possible.

Talk with your neighbors and some may contribute or help. If one goes bonkers, it won't be a good idea. I'd like to think they'd all be fine with it. I had a lady down the street stop and ask me about my chickens. Can't see them from the road, but neighbors talk. Good conversation. Point is to try to make your neighbors accomplices.

My kids helped me butcher and I have a picture with one holding a duck with a pacifier in her mouth. They know food. Zoo trips showed them what food looked like.
Will you pluck or skin? It does make a difference in mess.
Plant some pretty (and fast growing) sunflowers for a garden screen? Make a gazebo/butcher spot.

Carry them inside to process. Easy to do at a kitchen table. Take a garbage can and the birds can be bled inside with a liner and something to absorb the blood. Inside the house is an option.

Best wishes!

@Compost King I'm within driving distance of Salisbury. I'll keep your offer in mind! It wouldn't be until next year at the earliest

@RUNuts haven't decided on a method yet, that's part of my research. And I have been wanting to plant sunflowers for years but I've never gotten around to it!
Inside my house is rather small, I'm really not sure I'd have the room to process a chicken in my kitchen. Plus my cats are very obnoxious about stuff like that. They'll be up in my business, and if I lock them away in a room they will scream and literally eat the doorframe to try to get to me. They're worse than dogs sometimes!

@RUNuts haven't decided on a method yet, that's part of my research. And I have been wanting to plant sunflowers for years but I've never gotten around to it!
Inside my house is rather small, I'm really not sure I'd have the room to process a chicken in my kitchen. Plus my cats are very obnoxious about stuff like that. They'll be up in my business, and if I lock them away in a room they will scream and literally eat the doorframe to try to get to me. They're worse than dogs sometimes!
Sunflowers - drop them in the grass and let them go. Easy to do. PS don't mow the short sunflowers. The black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS) will sprout under the bird feeders. Not the mammoth kind, but dense for screens. Beware - this is chicken crack. They go crazy and will scratch out the grass to get to the seeds. Protect from chickens.

Do you like the skin? Would it be worth the effort to pluck to save the skin? What is your preferred cooking method?
Soups/stews/stir fry - skin is optional. Will add LOTS of flavor and grease for cooking.
BBQ/rotisserie/roasting - other dry methods are enhanced with the skin for self basting.
Other choice is try them both. Pluck a few and skin a few.

Cats - got a couple suggestions, but good luck. Eating door frames is bad.

Back
Top Bottom