Success stories for chickens with limb deformity?

Bumblebee-chicks

In the Brooder
May 31, 2023
One of our sweet chicks has ended up with a permanent out turned leg due to a deformity that likely caused the slipped tendon. Anyway, we decided to keep her and watch to ensure she is still happy doing chicken things, which she is thus far, just limps. Anyone kept their chickens with don't issues? How has it been long term? Any special considerations you have done for your chicken? Thanks all!

Kudos to you for keeping your special baby. Unlike people, critters seem unaware that there's anything "wrong" with them; they just adapt to their lives. As long as your little one doesn't seem to be in pain, she will likely just live her best life.

One of my Cochin Bantam chicks had badly curled toes on both feet that I couldn't straighten. Maxie walked with her feet literally laying on their sides and all her toes pointing toward the opposite foot. Her feet looked hideous, but she could keep up with the others and did all the things the other chickens could do. She lived to be two years old, and died, not because of her feet, but because all the hens piled into one nest box on a frigid day, and she, the smallest, smothered at the bottom of the heap.

One of my other Cochin Bantams lived for many years with a bad leg after surgery for a stricture wound left her leg stiff and unfeathered. Sally hopped more than she ran, and she was fierce! She held her own with full-sized hens and ran off the rooster when he tried to make romantic overtures.

I didn't make special considerations for either of them, but I maybe I loved them a little bit more because of their uniqueness. Best wishes for your girl!

Here is a thread that may help you.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/anyone-manage-leg-deformity-long-term.1530681/

There are other threads too, as far as helping birds with limb deformities adjust to their special needs. If you use the BYC search function and search for "slipped tendon", limb deformity" etc, you will see that handicapped chickens can lead a good life. Don't hesitate to ask more questions/seek more input to help you ensure your chick has a quality life. The main thing is that the deformity doesn't cause pain. Good luck with your chick, and welcome to BYC.🙂

Kudos to you for keeping your special baby. Unlike people, critters seem unaware that there's anything "wrong" with them; they just adapt to their lives. As long as your little one doesn't seem to be in pain, she will likely just live her best life.

One of my Cochin Bantam chicks had badly curled toes on both feet that I couldn't straighten. Maxie walked with her feet literally laying on their sides and all her toes pointing toward the opposite foot. Her feet looked hideous, but she could keep up with the others and did all the things the other chickens could do. She lived to be two years old, and died, not because of her feet, but because all the hens piled into one nest box on a frigid day, and she, the smallest, smothered at the bottom of the heap.

One of my other Cochin Bantams lived for many years with a bad leg after surgery for a stricture wound left her leg stiff and unfeathered. Sally hopped more than she ran, and she was fierce! She held her own with full-sized hens and ran off the rooster when he tried to make romantic overtures.

I didn't make special considerations for either of them, but I maybe I loved them a little bit more because of their uniqueness. Best wishes for your girl!
Thank you for the great positive stories! She's hobbling around still so I'm hopeful I'll have a success story of my own.

Back
Top Bottom