Successful 100% forage diet experiment (long post)

Pics
@AccidentalFarm , this thread has been very informative. Now knowing this, once I have fertile hatching eggs (someday in the hopefully near future), I'm going to try this.
Also, how did you make the fermented mash for the chicks? (Anything to prevent Pasty Butt)
Making fermented feed is really simple. I use a certain feed mix from the mill, but you can use any pelleted or crumble feed that you like.
This page describes the process and has good photos. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/fermenting-chicken-feed-a-straightforward-method.75967/
It's almost exactly the process I use, except that I don't worry about keeping water over the feed. I just keep the general consistency like mushy oatmeal.

Making fermented feed is really simple. I use a certain feed mix from the mill, but you can use any pelleted or crumble feed that you like.
This page describes the process and has good photos. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/fermenting-chicken-feed-a-straightforward-method.75967/
It's almost exactly the process I use, except that I don't worry about keeping water over the feed. I just keep the general consistency like mushy oatmeal.
Thanks for the link. I'll have to try fermented feed for my next batch of chicks.

Yes! When I was a kid, my mom kept a flock of mutt bantams and they were also 100% free range. She didn’t feed them at al (I’m sure they foraged kn the compost) and they roosted in trees. She told me she only ever lost one to a predator. We had 100 acres at that farm.
Also wanted to add that we are in Ontario, Canada so winters are looooong and get very cold. There were lots of outbuildings they could shelter in though. And a large barn with other livestock.

Also wanted to add that we are in Ontario, Canada so winters are looooong and get very cold. There were lots of outbuildings they could shelter in though. And a large barn with other livestock.

The “other livestock in outbuildings” part is probably key to increasing winter forage in cold weather. The chickens will pick and scratch through bedding/manure, clean up any spilled seed, etc.

I can't even wrap my head around the idea of ME surviving a long, cold winter!

Animals are far more resilient than we give them credit for. My birds choose to roost out in the open- in trees, on top of their old brooder house, on the lawnmower- even on the coldest nights here. We've only seen high 20's to low 30's so far this year, but that's still plenty cold!

Back
Top Bottom