Successful duck surgery!

tatswell

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 20, 2013
Southern New England
I am happy to announce my one year old (birthday today!) has had a successful spay surgery.
Why would anyone spay their duck? - For myself, the answer is because she is my pet and I value her as my family. I understand some may not agree.
Tegan had a bad case of egg yolk peritonitis. I thought I caught it early- but she hid her pain well.
My only option was euthanasia or attempted spay.
Her surgery was last Friday, she came home yesterday and is doing quite well- bright, vocal, and peppy.
They removed 2lbs of egg yolk from her stomach! Two, freakin, pounds!
Just wanted to put this out there as I know there is not much regarding spayed ducks- which is of course an incredibly risky surgery.
If anyone has any questions or would like more iinformation feel free to ask.
*Way to go Tegan! Good duck!* (On our way home from the vet yesterday)

*Update* It has been one week today- she is doing very well- abnormally well. I know the vet was impressed firstly that she survived a 4 hour risky surgery and also the vigor she displayed just 2 days after.
Her poop looks great (as good as poop could look)!
She is restless and wants badly to go out in the yard and stream to forage. Unfortunately the vet says she should stay inside for 14 days- when the sutures will come out. So we're halfway there!
Tegan amazes me, her resilience, and frankly animals in general. She is just one tough-happy, duck!

I
@tatswell Our little one is due for surgery next Wednesday to remove some foreign objects (mostly a coin and a few other metal objects) I am curious how you prepared Tegan for this surgery. Any insight into how the overall procedure is monitored? Type of Anesthetic that is best? I am trying to do my best to make sure our feathered baby is as safe as possible. Any insights you can share with your success story will be greatly appreciated.
know it’s been a while but how did your ducky surgery go. Hope all went well.

Also- 3 years later and Tegan still rules the free ranging roost here at good duck farm. You can see photos of her on our good duck farm Facebook page.
The vet said she would likely need an implant every 6 months (like a birth control) to prevent her from laying eggs- she has not needed it in 2.5 years!
Let us know how your baby is doing
2764.png

Wow! Given those options, I would've taken the chance too, for sure! 2 lbs...that's likely close to her entire body weight in just egg yolk...amazing. Glad she's on the mend :)

Thank you both!
Yes, two pounds is an incredible amount.
She lost her buddy in April in a tragic accident- a week after is when she stopped laying. I assumed it was stress- surely that had to have some role in this. I noticed she would be fine/normal during the morning/day but at night she seemed a little lethargic. But nothing far out of character. Until last Wednesday when I woke up to let her out she was quiet and laying down- very abnormal for her so I brought her in.
Surely enough poor girl had been laying internally.
Recovery is critical though. She has an incision that goes half way around her body. So stress free, quiet environment and antibiotics is her agenda for the next 14 days.

Last edited:
I always cut the cherry tomato in half and she has never had a problem- they are her favorite and she scarfs them down. But she has antibiotic pills that I have to give her, about the size of a tums. I cut that into 4ths and put it into the tomato. She knows this trick and tries to spit it out. I think maybe she tried spitting it out but it got stuck.
Tonight is her last pill thankfully, because she is giving me hell over them lol.

Last edited:
I know someone else who had to do this for the same reason. The problem is that you can't remove the ovaries, so she needed an implant and other measures so that she would stop ovulating. They have to replace the implant periodically. I hope yours does well for a long life.

Back
Top Bottom