Successful duck surgery!

tatswell

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 20, 2013
Southern New England
I am happy to announce my one year old (birthday today!) has had a successful spay surgery.
Why would anyone spay their duck? - For myself, the answer is because she is my pet and I value her as my family. I understand some may not agree.
Tegan had a bad case of egg yolk peritonitis. I thought I caught it early- but she hid her pain well.
My only option was euthanasia or attempted spay.
Her surgery was last Friday, she came home yesterday and is doing quite well- bright, vocal, and peppy.
They removed 2lbs of egg yolk from her stomach! Two, freakin, pounds!
Just wanted to put this out there as I know there is not much regarding spayed ducks- which is of course an incredibly risky surgery.
If anyone has any questions or would like more iinformation feel free to ask.
*Way to go Tegan! Good duck!* (On our way home from the vet yesterday)

Wow! Given those options, I would've taken the chance too, for sure! 2 lbs...that's likely close to her entire body weight in just egg yolk...amazing. Glad she's on the mend :)

Thank you both!
Yes, two pounds is an incredible amount.
She lost her buddy in April in a tragic accident- a week after is when she stopped laying. I assumed it was stress- surely that had to have some role in this. I noticed she would be fine/normal during the morning/day but at night she seemed a little lethargic. But nothing far out of character. Until last Wednesday when I woke up to let her out she was quiet and laying down- very abnormal for her so I brought her in.
Surely enough poor girl had been laying internally.
Recovery is critical though. She has an incision that goes half way around her body. So stress free, quiet environment and antibiotics is her agenda for the next 14 days.

Last edited:
*Update* It has been one week today- she is doing very well- abnormally well. I know the vet was impressed firstly that she survived a 4 hour risky surgery and also the vigor she displayed just 2 days after.
Her poop looks great (as good as poop could look)!
She is restless and wants badly to go out in the yard and stream to forage. Unfortunately the vet says she should stay inside for 14 days- when the sutures will come out. So we're halfway there!
Tegan amazes me, her resilience, and frankly animals in general. She is just one tough-happy, duck!

Back
Top Bottom