My duck is having surgery

BabyEmily

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 26, 2017
My 6 1/2 year old muscovy duck Emily is having surgery this Thursday.

About two years ago she had a tiny pea size cyst/lump under her skin. The vet said it was a clogged pore or something similiar. Like a fatty lump. We decided not to do anything about it versus the risk of surgery. It did not bother her and was super tiny. So this year I noticed the darn thing has now grown to the size of a quarter/ large marble. It is bothering her and she shakes her head and has pulled feathers from her neck next to it.

I decided to take her to the vet last week. My old vet wasn't there and a different one evaluated her. Because it is so large and bothering her the vet said we should do the surgery. It's a fatty lump under her skin like a fatty lipoma and she will go under full anesthesia.

I'm so concerned because of the location and the risk of anesthesia. I had a friend who lost her parrot after a surgery like this. In the middle of the night the parrot had pulled out her neck stitches and passed from blood loss. I don't know how to protect Emily from herself after this neck surgery. I think I'll have to stay awake and watch her for as long as I can. I've cancelled work for the following days. I assume the vet will wrap up her neck. I don't trust Emily because she can reach the area.

She is also laying eggs right now. So on top of all this I'm worried she won't push out the egg on Thursday and could get egg-bound. Should I cancel the surgery and reschedule for when she is done laying eggs? Am I over-worrying and being a helicopter-duck mom?

Can I please hear some advice about post-operative care for her?

Attachments

• 364137676_10161581688311419_342502504603364360_n.jpg
    364137676_10161581688311419_342502504603364360_n.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 364115199_10161581688241419_4701128492866292488_n.jpg
    364115199_10161581688241419_4701128492866292488_n.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 365221950_10161581686486419_191403666888924002_n.jpg
    365221950_10161581686486419_191403666888924002_n.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 8
Have you talked to the vet about your concerns? I would. As for the growth hopefully once they remove it they will have someway to cover it so she can’t mess with it. I’d be concerned with her scratching it their claws are sharp.
Maybe they can make her something Like a 'cone of shame' that dogs get, and booties that cover the sharp nails?

My 6 1/2 year old muscovy duck Emily is having surgery this Thursday.

About two years ago she had a tiny pea size cyst/lump under her skin. The vet said it was a clogged pore or something similiar. Like a fatty lump. We decided not to do anything about it versus the risk of surgery. It did not bother her and was super tiny. So this year I noticed the darn thing has now grown to the size of a quarter/ large marble. It is bothering her and she shakes her head and has pulled feathers from her neck next to it.

I decided to take her to the vet last week. My old vet wasn't there and a different one evaluated her. Because it is so large and bothering her the vet said we should do the surgery. It's a fatty lump under her skin like a fatty lipoma and she will go under full anesthesia.

I'm so concerned because of the location and the risk of anesthesia. I had a friend who lost her parrot after a surgery like this. In the middle of the night the parrot had pulled out her neck stitches and passed from blood loss. I don't know how to protect Emily from herself after this neck surgery. I think I'll have to stay awake and watch her for as long as I can. I've cancelled work for the following days. I assume the vet will wrap up her neck. I don't trust Emily because she can reach the area.

She is also laying eggs right now. So on top of all this I'm worried she won't push out the egg on Thursday and could get egg-bound. Should I cancel the surgery and reschedule for when she is done laying eggs? Am I over-worrying and being a helicopter-duck mom?

Can I please hear some advice about post-operative care for her?
do you have someone who can take shifts with you staying up and watching her so you get some sleep?

do you have someone who can take shifts with you staying up and watching her so you get some sleep?
Thanks. I don't. Maybe I could convince my friend's to facetime and watch her while I sleep for a few hours. Then call me and wake me up if something happens. I have a shoe for her good foot. Maybe I could put a sock on it.

The vet tech mentioned they have cones for birds but not for ducks.

Last edited:
Have you talked to the vet about your concerns? I would. As for the growth hopefully once they remove it they will have someway to cover it so she can’t mess with it. I’d be concerned with her scratching it their claws are sharp.
Thanks. I spoke to the vet last week and have been dwelling on my thoughts a little more. So I called them today and they gave me some answers. The vet won't be in until Weds though so staff answered some. One concern was when do I cut off her food and water? They said to allow her to eat and drink up until 2 hours before the surgery.

When I asked about how do I keep her from messing with it, I didn't get a clear answer. I'll call back on Wednesday when the vet returns. I also am wondering about the anesthesia types and do they use the most appropriate type. I just read something on here about anesthesia and I'm not sure what to think now.

I bet you are over thinking this. That lump is bothering her, and will be quickly removed. She has to have a general anaesthetic because she won't keep still under a local anaesthetic.

I expect she will have stitches and a spray on dressing. It will be a very small incision. When she wakes up she may not even notice that she has had the lump removed! I think ducks aren't really acurate about scratching with their great clod hopping feet They aren't like parots and small pet birds that have their feet up holding fruit and the like to eat.

I would talk to the vet when the vet is back and have faith in the care and treatment offered.

I bet you are over thinking this. That lump is bothering her, and will be quickly removed. She has to have a general anaesthetic because she won't keep still under a local anaesthetic.

I expect she will have stitches and a spray on dressing. It will be a very small incision. When she wakes up she may not even notice that she has had the lump removed! I think ducks aren't really acurate about scratching with their great clod hopping feet They aren't like parots and small pet birds that have their feet up holding fruit and the like to eat.

I would talk to the vet when the vet is back and have faith in the care and treatment offered.
thank you that was reassuring!! I'll speak to the vet. This is my first time with an issue with her and I am freaked out a bit. :)

Back
Top Bottom