Duck crop impacted with oyster shells

Spotgieter

Songster
Apr 24, 2021
1 yr old, female pekin, laid her first egg with no shell. We took her to the vet 2 days later, because she hadn't laid another egg and we were afraid she was egg bound. Doctor found no egg and x-rayed and discovered that her crop was impacted with oyster bits. I saw the x-ray and the crop was completely full.
Vet said to give her 2cc's of olive oil twice a day and if she wasn't better by Monday (tomorrow) he'd perform surgery.

She hasn't eat much the last 2 days. Today, she's very lethargic and doesn't talk or make noises. She just drinks and sleeps. She's in the house now. Doctor said to not have her outside. I thought grit would be bad, because the oyster bits are the same size as grit.

She hasn't eat much the last 2 days. Today, she's very lethargic and doesn't talk or make noises. She just drinks and sleeps. She's in the house now. Doctor said to not have her outside. I thought grit would be bad, because the oyster bits are the same size as grit.
Yes, grit could do more harm than good at this point. I was not thinking correctly when I suggested that. My apologies! I would keep feeding the oil and start massaging the crop down gently. Do that few times every hour. I would make sure she keeps drinking. Maybe try adding the oil to her water.

At this point I am not even sure massaging it down would be a good idea if the crop is completely full.
@Spotgieter did the vet mention massaging after using the olive oil? I'm not trying to contradict you @AidKD just want to make sure the vet was adding massage to using the oilve oil.

At this point I am not even sure massaging it down would be a good idea if the crop is completely full.
@Spotgieter did the vet mention massaging after using the olive oil? I'm not trying to contradict you @AidKD just want to make sure the vet was adding massage to using the oilve oil.
Understandable, all the bases need covered! I'm no expert!

I wasn't told to massage the crop...so, I did that and it actually worked!!! She let me do it too lol she enjoyed it so much! Poor baby....she made a little sound and I just kept massaging for half an hour and she turned around completely! I am so happy....we did not want her to have surgery. I just massaged her again before I tucked her in 😄🥰

I wasn't told to massage the crop...so, I did that and it actually worked!!! She let me do it too lol she enjoyed it so much! Poor baby....she made a little sound and I just kept massaging for half an hour and she turned around completely! I am so happy....we did not want her to have surgery. I just massaged her again before I tucked her in 😄🥰
That's awesome! I'm so glad that it worked for her!

Back
Top Bottom